Organic farming and environmental conservation program in Kenya
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by CADIP
The volunteers will work together with a local self-help group in Mumias, Kakamega County. The group strives to provide a place for better health education of the local community to improve community health through nutrition and environmental protection. They do this through the production of organic foods to reduce malnutrition among disadvantaged children. Through the production of organic food, group members can improve their cultivation techniques, which in turn promotes income generating activities for the community as a whole, thereby increasing food security and discouraging deforestation. Group members are also committed to protecting the environment by planting trees and using organic fertilizers in agriculture.
• Organic farming that includes gardening, weeding, planting in tree nurseries, clearing bushes and digging;
• Making of bricks to be used for the construction of a storage room for farm products;
• Making organic fertilizers and biochar (porous charcoal used in agriculture) to help the soil retain its nutrients and water;
• Participating in exchange programs in schools, teaching students how to make compost;
• Kiswahili lessons and discussions in local schools.
Project dates: November 4 - November 23, 2018
Find out more about this and other volunteer opportunities in Kenya at: http://cadip.org/volunteer-in-kenya
How To Apply
CLICK HERE to sign up and learn more!