BECOME A TUTOR/MENTOR TO CHICAGO YOUTH!
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Chicago Lights Tutoring Program, Fourth Presbyterian Church
Times of day
A few hours per week
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
126 E. Chestnut
Celebrating its 54th year of service, Tutoring provides academic support to children living in under-resourced neighborhoods on the near north, west, and south sides of Chicago. Each year, over 400 children in 1st -12th grades are enrolled in the Tutoring Program and need an adult volunteer to encourage success through homework assistance and personal development. At the program, students are offered dinner, arts and enrichment classes, access to a computer lab, a library, career development classes, literacy programs and the attention of a caring adult.
Tutoring this year will begin the week of October 1-4, and we would love for you to join us! You can volunteer in one of two ways:
Permanent, One-to-One Tutor/Mentor (Monday - Thursday, 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm)
- You pick one night that works best for you and commit to tutoring the same student that same evening each week.
- You meet with your student each week to enhance their education and school preparedness.
- The relationship you will build with your student provides limitless opportunities for you to offer encouragement that can have a positive impact on the student’s life for years to come.
Casual Substitute Tutor (Monday- Thursday, 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm)
- In this position, you simply come to the program when it is convenient for you and work with a student whose tutor was delayed at the last minute.
- This volunteer position is flexible and allows you to determine the time commitment that is appropriate for you. Substitute tutors are needed most evenings and are extremely helpful in providing support and homework help to a student who would have otherwise been without a tutor for the evening.
The Chicago Lights Tutoring Program runs from October-May, Monday-Thursday evenings.
- Training Provided
How To Apply
Please attend one of our New Volunteer Orientation sessions to learn about the program and the volunteer opportunities available in more depth. All orientations will be from 6-7:30 p.m. at The Gratz Center, Fourth Presbyterian Church, 126 E. Chestnut St. Chicago, IL 60611. Please RSVP for one of the following dates by going to: tutoringorientation2018.eventbrite.com. Please attend ONE of the following orientation dates:
Thursday, September 6
Tuesday, September 11
Wednesday, September 12
Monday, September 17
Tuesday, September 25
Application packets will be available online after the orientation. You will need to complete two background checks when you come in for the orientation. The reference forms can be sent directly to us within a few weeks. Please contact Program Coordinator Meg Sutter at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.