A few hours per month
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
Volunteer Opportunity – Secretary, Board of Directors
The Shanti Uganda Society
Shanti Uganda improves maternal & infant health throughout Uganda. We imagine a world where all women have access to a midwife and are respected, empowered and able to thrive throughout the birth process. We value holistic care, growth, integrity, sustainability, unity, and connection. To learn more, please visit www.shantiuganda.org
Our Vancouver-based Board of Directors is accepting applications for the role of Secretary. Shanti Uganda’s Board of Directors provides the overall leadership and financial management for the organization. Collectively, the Board supervises the Executive Director, who implements the policies, programs and fundraising plans approved by the Board.
Board Members serve for a two-year term with the opportunity to renew.
Board Members must be able to contribute approximately 5-10 hours monthly for meetings, planning, and some participation in fundraising activities and events. Board members may be required to participate on a committee, based on interest and skills.
Responsibilities of all Board Members
- Regularly attend in person Board meetings and other special meetings in Vancouver, BC (Strategic Planning, Committee meetings, Annual General Meeting, etc)
- Be informed about and committed to Shanti Uganda’s mission, services, programs, policies and bylaws
- Prepare for meetings by reviewing the agenda and reading background materials
- Contribute positively to Board discussions and decision making
- Be willing to participate on and/or chair a committee if required
- Act as an ambassador for Shanti Uganda
- Assist the Board in carrying out its’ responsibilities, including fund-raising
- Attend and participate in organizational fundraising events/campaigns
- Make a personally meaningful financial contribution to the organization
Responsibilities of Secretary
- Adhere to the duties outlined in the general board member job description
- Act as a signing authority on behalf of the Board for financial and legal purposes
- Ensure that Board members receive proper notice of meetings and prepare and distribute the monthly board package with material from board members and staff
- Ensure that minutes, attendance, motions, resolutions and records for all meetings are recorded, distributed as required and maintained
- Ensure that all BC Societies and CRA updates are filed and maintained
- Update and maintain Board contact spreadsheet
Your Qualifications and Experience
- Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all staff and board members
- Interest in working in nonprofit and social innovation environment
- Deep interest in and passion for Maternal Health & International Development
- Previous experience with a non-profit and/or Board of Directors and strategic planning an asset.
- A team player and visionary with strong decision making skills
- Well-developed communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills
Benefits of Joining our Team
- Make a sustainable, inspired, empowered contribution to the health and well-being of Ugandan women and their communities. Witness the deep impact of your involvement on an ongoing basis.
- Have the opportunity to impact the mission of this organization at a critical time in its development.
- Join other dynamic leaders committed to global change and experience the power of deep, sustainable, conscious activism.
- Training Provided