Part time (10-30 hrs/wk)
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
Las Camelias 431
OTRA COSA NETWORK
At Otra Cosa Network, our vision is equal opportunities in Peru for everyone to succeed and thrive.
We run five of our own projects, which are all part of the Huanchaco Education and Learning Programme (HELP). HELP is dedicated to advancing the education possibilities and resources for those living in lower-income communities in Huanchaco and the surrounding shanty towns.
FAIR TRADE PHOTOGRAPHY PROJECT
The fair trade photography project is a social enterprise which produces fair trade photo products. The photos on the products are taken by teenagers from Peru (and other countries where it operates). You see the face, name and age of the photographer on the back of each card. The project offers the young people involved photography training, a medical fund and guidance in making their future plans.
The teenagers get 50% of the profits of the sale of their own photos to finance their housing and education. The other 50% is used for investments in the company.
Your task as a volunteer is to contribute to guiding underprivileged teenagers in producing quality photos for the fair trade products, with the goal of personal development and income support for these teenagers. The activities consist of preparing and giving photography lessons and other training that contribute to the development of the teenagers their self-esteem, future plans and English language skills. This project has the potential to completely turn around the lives of the participating teenagers and already has some inspiring success stories of how these young people break the chains of poverty in which they were locked.
Volunteer Roles/Working Hours
The workshops for the young people run for three hours at a time, four days a week (Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday afternoons and Saturday mornings). The remainder of your time will be spent preparing the classes, helping to sort through the photos taken by the young people and meeting with the management.
The following roles are available to volunteers:
- Photography & creativity trainer for the 10 Peruvian teenagers
- Trainer for social abilities and personal development workshops for the teenagers
- Translator & teacher: Spanish-English and English-Spanish translation during the photography lessons (if there is a volunteer who does not speak Spanish) and giving English lessons to the teenagers.
- Spanish level: Intermediate
- Minimum commitment of 6 weeks
- Flexible and open-minded
- Interest and some experience with working with teenagers (13-18 years old)
- Able to work independently and structured
- Creative and flexible in organizing activities
Language/Cultural Support Available
How To Apply