Part time (10-30 hrs/wk)
East River Park Fire Boat House
The NYC Compost Project, created by the NYC Department of Sanitation (DSNY) in 1993, works to reduce waste in NYC and rebuild NYC's soil by providing New Yorkers with the knowledge, skills, and opportunities they need to produce and use compost locally. NYC Compost Project programs and staff are funded and managed through the DSNY Bureau of Recycling and Sustainability (BRS) in partnership with host institutions.
The LES Ecology Center offers free public compost collection and education, electronic waste recycling, stewardship of public open space, and environmental education. Our programs focus on offering opportunities for all New Yorkers to learn about environmental issues facing NYC and to take responsibility for solving those problems.
The Outreach Volunteer is primarily responsible for providing support to the compost education, public outreach and food scrap drop-off programs based in Manhattan. This is a great opportunity for someone that is interested in learning more about community composting and getting experience in public outreach. This position is best suited for someone that is self-motivated, excited to dive into hands-on work and enjoys engaging with the public.
· Conduct outreach to participants at our food scrap drop-off sites
· Assist in carrying out compost education workshops with other staff
· Participate in public outreach events
· Perform other related duties as assigned
· Knowledge of and commitment to composting and environmental sustainability
· Strong interest and some experience in teaching, public speaking and community engagement
· Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work with the public, alone, in a team, and in a variety of settings
· Ability to lift at least 30 pounds and to perform physically strenuous tasks
· Willingness to work outdoors in all seasons and on weekends/evenings as needed
· Bilingual skills preferred but not required
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE
• High School
- Training Provided