Tours are a crucial and important part of the organization as it provides the funds for the Microfinance and Education Programs. Tour Guides are the face of the organization to our tour participants, and help connect travelers with women who are receiving interest-free loans. They are responsible for introducing tour participants to the ideas of Microfinance, our program and model, the communities we work with, and the women in our program.
The Orientation Guide presents our organization through an orientation given at the start of the tour. This is an excellent opportunity for someone who wants to make a big impact, and create a lasting connection to women in Oaxaca. There is room to grow professionally and personally in leadership, presentation skills, fundraising and interpersonal skills, plus the opportunity to improve Spanish language skills within the rich cultural community of Oaxaca, Mexico.
We currently have tours on Thursday from 1:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. and Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. in 6 communities in the Tlacolula Valley: Santa María Guelacé, San Sebastián Abasolo, San Juan Guelavía, Teotitlán del Valle, San Marcos Tlapazola and San Miguel del Valle. We also have private tours in different days.
· Preparing materials.
· Guide groups of 5-12 travelers in the tour.
· Showcase our programs and ensure customers know and understand how the organization runs and how important our responsible tourism program is to the functioning of the organization.
· Build relationships with the women in our program and ensure there is a positive and respectful relationship between the tour group and them.
· Fluent English.
· Demonstrate commitment to social change and community development.
· Excellent people skills: outgoing, friendly, warm and professional.
· Ability and passion for building relationships with individuals from different backgrounds.
· Good judgment, strong initiative and ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
Preferred Experience (but not required)
· Experience in a professional leadership position.
· Experience volunteering.
· Living abroad.
· Weekly commitment: 1-2 tours per week (6-7 hours each, plus 1-2 hours of preparation and 1 hour of follow up).
· Monthly guide meetings (2 hours per month).
· Minimum 3-6 months (or longer).
· There is no cost to volunteer with our organization.
· This is an unpaid volunteer position. At this time, En Vía doesn’t provide assistance with housing or living costs, but we can give you recommendations of housing in or around the city.
Tours are a crucial and important part of the organization as it provides the funds for the Microfinance and Education Programs. Tour Guides are the face of the organization to our tour participants, and help connect travelers with women…