Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
21 South 12th Street
**Only applicants who apply through our website will be considered:
Job Synopsis: The Sewing and Textiles Coordinator is a service worker (volunteer) position and the worker is expected to be an active participant of MCC's Akron Connection Service Program. MCC pays for travel to and from assignment and provides complete living expenses for service workers plus a small monthly stipend. The term length for this position is 2 years and will be based at the Material Resources Center (MRC) in Ephrata, PA. The purpose of the center is to process donated material resources for MCC, involve volunteers in the ministry and vision of MCC, educate visitors about MCC's total mission, and generate a portion of MRC budget needs.
This position coordinates the work of the sewing room and areas of the warehouse related to working with fabrics and quality control. Another critical aspect of this role is creatively upcycling donated materials in order to offer inspiring stock for the Care for Creation Gift Store. As a result, by being conscientious of good stewardship of Creation, the Sewing and Textiles Coordinator contributes in generating funds for the MRC. This position reports to the Material Resources Center Manager and cooperates with other MRC staff.
This position is a service worker (volunteer) position. MCC pays for travel to and from assignment, and provides complete living expenses for service workers plus a small monthly stipend.
Benefits include full medical, dental & vision insurance, 3 weeks vacation per year, life insurance and a resettlement allowance post-assignment.
All MCC workers are expected to exhibit a commitment to: a personal Christian faith and discipleship; active membership or participation in a Christian church; and nonviolent peacemaking. MCC is an equal opportunity employer, committed to employment equity. MCC values diversity and invites all qualified candidates to apply.
- Legally authorized to work in the United States
- Support MCC's vision for shipping quality material resources
- Display work-related organizational skills
- Excellent communication and relational skills
- Ability to instruct and direct volunteers in a variety of activities
- Ability to bend and stand for extended periods of time, and lift up to 50 pounds
- Demonstrated understanding of Anabaptist perspectives and ability to communicate MCC’s mission
- Experience working withdiverse constituent groupsof volunteers
- Ability to work with a team collaboratively
- Takes initiative and can work independently as needed
- Advanced knowledge of and skills in use of textiles, sewing techniques and sewing machines
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Basic computer proficiency in the use of internet, e-mail and MS Office
- Think creatively
- Valid driver’s license, or ability to obtain one prior to assignment, is required
- Invitations to serve with MCC are contingent on the successful outcome of criminal background check(s).
Initiative and Ingenuity:
The Sewing and Textile Coordinator is a contributing member of the staff at MCC East Coast Material Resources Center. This position plays a central role in the activities of the MRC including preparation of relief supplies, coordinating volunteer efforts, processing recycled materials and providing education about MCC.
This individual will be instructing and directing the work of an average 35 volunteers per week, single-handedly hosting groups several times per month. This individual will work for lengthy periods of time stooping, bending, standing, pushing carts and lifting up to 40 pounds. Requires frequent concentration and demand for accuracy.
This individual will exercise relational skills and frequent communication while greeting, hosting, inspiring, organizing and directing volunteers. A primary group of volunteers the person in this position oversees are retired women who come to the MRC on a weekly basis. Another main group are from women and age 11 and older from the Amish community.
• Direct work of volunteers in the Sewing Room, T-shirt recycling, Comforter and Kit areas.
• Provide material for the Rug Weaving area.
• Manage various aspects of comforter making area.
• Organize Care for Creation Gift Shop and supply recycled items to MCC Thrift Shops and Relief Sales.
• Find a creative use (re-use or repurpose) for donated textiles/clothing that don't meet MCC material resource criteria and use creativity to guide volunteers in the re-use/recycle of these items,
• Assist in directing volunteers to check and pack kits and other donated items as appropriate.
• Work with MRC staff to plan activities for volunteers, educating them about MCC's mission.
• Work several Thursday evenings and/or Saturday mornings a month as needed.
• Attend East Coast staff meetings and other MCC meetings as requested.
• Creatively design ways to use donated textiles.
• Manage special collections of clothing that come from MCC international program requests.
• Oversee the Cutting Room production of infant gowns and blankets to sale as part of the Infant Care Kit.
• Occasionally assist with airport pick ups and drop offs.
• Perform other duties as assigned including covering other areas of the MRC as needed.
Akron Connection Service Program:
The Sewing and Textile Coordinator will be a part of the Akron Connection Service Program, which is a service unit connected to MCC’s offices in Akron and Ephrata, Pa. In recent years the unit has typically consisted of up to 10 adults, ages 18 and older. Single unit members live in group housing with a shared food and household allowance and shared household responsibilities. Service workers are expected to be engaged in household life and to participate in unit activities such as monthly group meals and outings, 2 annual retreats, Bible studies and impromptu gatherings.
Job Type: Full-time
- Stipend Provided
- Housing Available
- Language/Cultural Support Available