- Volunteer Opportunity posted by School on Wheels Inc. of California
A few hours per week
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
School on Wheels, Inc.
3150 North San Fernando Road
Are you looking to strengthen your skills working for a dynamic, mission-driven nonprofit? Do you have a passion for education and want to support an organization working to help homeless children and youth? Become an administrative volunteer/apprentice at School on Wheels!
About Us: School on Wheels (SOW) trains and matches volunteer tutors with children experiencing homelessness. Our tutors work with students for one hour, once a week, providing them with a consistent support system at a time of great stress and fear. We tutor in public locations at libraries, schools, and shelters, and more in six counties in Southern California. To supplement academic programs, we offer scholarships and teach digital learning at centers throughout the region. We offer students new school supplies and backpacks.
Position Summary: SOW is seeking one or more volunteers/apprentices to assist with administrative work out of our Los Angeles office (zip code: 90065). Volunteers/apprentices will assist the Digital Learning Specialist in organizing materials for our Digital Learning Centers (DLCs) as well as assist in implementing an established group tutoring model. Volunteers/apprentices will also support any program-related special projects, as needed. Ideal candidates will have a positive, solution-oriented attitude, initiative, flexibility, and an exceptional service mentality. Time commitment: Weekdays with a minimum of 4 hours per week (between 9am and 5pm). Particular days and hours are flexible and can be discussed.
Responsibilities and Essential Duties:
- Assist with the creation of learning materials
- Organize, track, and update materials at DLCs
- Support programming and group tutoring at DLCs
- Post volunteer recruitment ads on VolunteerMatch, etc.
- Work on program-related special projects, as needed
- Ability to multitask, analyze and solve problems
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Professional demeanor and customer-service mentality
- Strong communication and organizational skills, including keeping track of detailed information
- Ability to represent SOW in the highest manner and exemplify SOW’s values, integrity, and ethics
- Must have reliable transportation or access to public transportation
- Demonstrated leadership experience
- Experience working with children in an educational setting a plus
- Volunteer/apprentice must fill out a School on Wheels application and watch the online orientation.
- Additional training will be provided by the supervisor.
- Training Provided