Buddhist Sacred ART for WORLD PEACE, Rural Buddhist Center in CA
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Odiyan Retreat Center
Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
100 miles north of San Francisco
Odiyan Buddhist Retreat Center, California, 100 miles north of San Francisco.
No experience required
START DATE: asap
Do you enjoy hands-on work fabricating large-scale projects in metal, clay, and wood? Are you interested in steel fabrication, welding, working in a foundry or helping with a major solar installation?
Come to Odiyan, an all-volunteer Buddhist center on the coast in California. Participate in a completely unique construction and sacred art project making over 2000 prayer wheels to surround the Main Temple.
The purpose of this year 1-to-2 year project is to reverse the negative momentum of our world, restore balance in nature, and heal the pain of so many beings who are victims of war, hatred and natural disasters.
Our team is seeking hardy, strong resident volunteers. Learn new skills, live in a community of like-minded people, eat great home grown vegetarian food, help out with construction, gardening and cooking. You can take advantage of classes on Buddhism and yoga, participate in meditation and chanting and live in one of the most beautiful Buddhist centers in the world.
LIVING AND WORKING AT ODIYAN INCLUDES:
- Free home-cooked vegetarian meals and beverages
- Free housing in a large room with balcony
- Free WI-FI and domestic phone calls
- Free skill training in a wide range of trades and traditional arts
- Access to a healthy setting of nature, hiking trails, swimming, wide-open spaces, sacred beauty, fresh air, clean water, and nutritious food
- Free Classes on Development of Mind & Spirit: Tibetan yoga, Skillful Means, Buddhist study and more.
- Living allowance, $100 per month after the first month, $150 per month after six months.
You will mainly participate in fabricating and finishing the steel structure which will support the 2000 prayers wheels and a 500-foot long solar panel installation. You will help with the fabrication and assembly of the prayer wheels.
Outside of the Prayer Wheel work, part of your working hours will include cooking ( don't worry - we teach you how to cook vegetarian), working in our in vegetable gardens, maintaining the Temples, landscaping, and tending to our wildlife (exotic birds, horses, dogs etc).
Although Odiyan has its foundations in Tibetan Buddhism, no religious affiliation is required to join the team. The ideal volunteer is open-minded, self-reflective and ready to engage deeply on both internally and with the work.
- Minimum age of 23 years old
- You must be strong, physically able for manual work for hours each day, including lifting, bending, kneeling
- Minimum commitment is six months. We prefer nine months.
- Couples welcome to apply.
- We cannot accept children or animal companions.
- We are a smoke and drug-free community.
If you have a passion for the physically active lifestyle, self-knowledge and giving to a greater vision, Odiyan may be the place for you! The community life, classes, and on-going work projects are directed to the benefit of yourself and all humanity.
For a more 'inside' view of Odiyan see us on Facebook: OdiyanBuddhistRetreatCenter.
- Stipend Provided
- Training Provided
- Housing Available
How To Apply
To get started on the application process, email us your resume, a short statement about why this opportunity interests you and clear photo of yourself. If you have any questions or just want to chat about living and working at Odiyan, don't hesitate to call us!