Volunteers needed to instruct classes in Loudoun Adult Detention Center
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by OAR, Opportunities, Alternatives, and Resources of Fairfax County, Inc.
A few hours per week
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
42035 Loudoun Center Pl
We need compassionate volunteers to teach and facilitate classes at the Loudoun Adult Detention Center!
Opportunities are as follows:
We ask that you're able to commit a minimum of 1 year for our teaching and mentorship opportunities. Teaching experience is preferred.
*Time Commitment- 3 hrs/wk*
- Life Skills: Students explore and discuss budgeting, decision making, mental health, and communication. Class meets once a week for 5 weeks.
- Fatherhood: Students explore and discuss the role of the father in the family, the challenges of parenting after separation, stages of childhood development, communication, discipline, and more. Class meets once a week for 10 weeks.
- Anger Management: The class helps students identify the beliefs, triggers, thoughts and feelings in their personal "Cycle of Violence". Students discover practical tools and techniques to break the cycle. Class meets once a week for 7 weeks.
- Employability Skills: Students focus on workplace communication, preparing job applications, workplace etiquette, practicing interview skills, and a mock interview session. Class meets once a week for 7 weeks.
- Mentor program: Volunteers mentor inmates before and after their release from the Loudoun jail. Mentoring pairs are matched based on age, interests, and need. 15 month commitment (3 months inside the jail pre-release; 12 months in the community post-release). 2hrs/wk.
Training, coaching, and continuing education provided for all volunteers. We want you to grow with us!
If interested, please fill out a volunteer application and send it to Jess at firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications can be found at our website under
Thanks for your interest!
How To Apply
To download an application, visit our website at http://www.oarnova.org/volunteer-opportunities
Once the application is completed, please forward it to Jess at email@example.com. Once reviewed the next step in the process is to set up a Volunteer Information Session. We look forward to hearing from you and appreciate your interest in volunteering!