Times of day
Part time (10-30 hrs/wk)
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
Las Camelias 431
About Otra Cosa Network
At Otra Cosa Network, our vision is equal opportunities in Peru for everyone to succeed and thrive.
We run five of our own projects, which are all part of the Huanchaco Education and Learning Programme (HELP). HELP is dedicated to advancing the education possibilities and resources for those living in lower-income communities in Huanchaco and the surrounding shanty towns. Alongside this, we support several partner organisations in the area, as well as in two remote locations in northern Peru.
Do you love working outdoors, feel good about developing sustainable practises, want to improve the environment and make Peru a safer and healthier place? Then we have the right role for you!
Our HELP Environment project focuses on educating the local population from a grass roots level on the importance of conservation and sustainable practises. Within the community, we run an ever-growing number of campaigns. One of these is the ”Yo Cuido Mi Playa” campaign. This involves gathering local children to teach them about taking care of the beach and doing interactive fun activities with them. We also run training and workshop sessions for local university students, so that they can visit and educate schoolchildren on the environment. Another interesting campaign we run involves establishing hydroponic gardens in local school. The aim of this project is to help schoolchildren to develop the necessary skills to sustainability farm and harvest their own crops!
All of our HELP Coordinator positions are higher-level volunteer positions for more experienced volunteers with strong leadership skills, who are looking to coordinate and manage one of our own Huanchaco Education and Learning Program (HELP) projects.
Volunteer roles/working hours
- Coordinate activities such as the Yo Cuido Mi Playa campaign and workshops in partner projects and schools with the help of the manager
- Supervising the other HELP Environment volunteers, including running team meetings and follow up on their goal setting
- Managing the HELP Environment budget
- Liaise with the local University and other local governmental and non-governmental bodies
- Update our HELP Environment curriculum
- Age 21+
- Minimum intermediate Spanish level
- Minimum commitment: 3 months – the longer, the better
- Good people skills, as you will be supervising other volunteers
- Volunteers should have some background in working with children
- Leadership and discipline are must for this position
- Experience in environmental issues and awareness spreading would be an advantage, but not mandatory
This is an unpaid and self-funded position but we offer ongoing support to all our volunters.
We can arrange everything for you from here, including your project(s) placement and your housing placement, and we will pick you up as soon as you arrive into Trujillo. You will be given an induction after you arrive and we are here to offer support, advice/help while you´'re here. For example there are weekly volunteer lunches, there is office volunteer drop in schedule and you can always schedule a time to meet with the operations manager or other staff. We can also advise where to go if you're sick and where to find anything you might need.
Language/Cultural Support Available
How To Apply
For more information or to apply for the roles, please email us at: email@example.com
You can also submit your application at the following website: http://otracosa.org/volunteer/apply/