A few hours per month
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
Frye Art Museum
704 Terry Avenue
Gallery Guide Program
Become a Gallery Guide! Receive a behind-the-scenes look at the Frye Art Museum’s exhibitions and permanent collection. Gallery Guides give tours to youth (K–12 groups), university students, and the general public.
The Frye Art Museum is committed to a rich visitor experience. Serving as museum ambassadors, our Gallery Guides welcome and engage with visitors by leading guided interactive tours. Our gallery tours are developed to facilitate personal discoveries about art and to encourage dialogue aimed at enhancing the museum experience for all visitors.
- Commit to at least one full calendar year as a Frye Gallery Guide. (The program coincides with the school calendar—September through August)
- Lead or co-lead at least two tours each month—school, public, or private
- Prepare for each tour by studying exhibition materials and doing independent research
- Pose open-ended questions and use inquiry-based techniques to encourage discussion-based tours
- Create a positive, in-depth museum experience for all visitors
- Attend a one-week intensive training in September
- Attend monthly training sessions on the third Friday of every month from 10am – 12pm
- Attend curator led walk-throughs for all new exhibitions
- Participate in the Gallery Guide Mentoring Program
- Follow the Code of Professional Conduct as found in the Frye Volunteer Handbook
After completion of the training, each Gallery Guide commits to giving two school or public tours each month.
- School Tours: offered Tuesday–Thursday from 10 am to 12 pm. Gallery guides are expected to be at the Frye on the day of their tour from 9:30 am to 12:15 pm in order to prepare tour materials.
- Public Tours: offered Tuesday–Sunday at 1 pm, and at 11:30 am on Saturday, Sunday, and Tuesday. Gallery Guides are expected to arrive at least fifteen minutes before their scheduled tour.
- Private Tours: offered from 2 to 3 pm. If a private tour is scheduled, the Gallery Guide giving the 1 pm public tour is expected to stay to give the private tour.
- Belief in the value of a high-quality, meaningful museum experience and in the mission of the Frye Art Museum
- Desire to learn about and appreciate all forms of visual arts
- Openness to constructive feedback, suggestions, and new ways of thinking
- Strong communication skills ease in speaking before groups
- Flexibility in dealing effectively with the public
- Ability to engage with diverse groups (children, adults, staff, and volunteers)
- Experience in the field of education and/or customer service (preferred but not required)
- Continuing education on the Frye permanent collections and special exhibitions
- Free 1-year Membership to the Frye Art Museum, including savings at local establishments
- Invitations to members-only events and opening receptions for new exhibitions
- Advanced registration for programs, lectures, films, and concerts
- Member discount price for all tickets to fee-based programs
- Inclusion in the Museum's annual participation in National Volunteer Week in April
- Volunteer appreciation events
- A 15% discount at Café Frieda and the Museum Store
- Training Provided