Chelsea Collaborative Citizenship & ESOL Coordinator - NAIP AmeriCorps
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by New American Integration Program
Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
The NEW AMERICAN INTEGRATION PROGRAM (NAIP) is an AmeriCorps program administered by the MIRA Coalition, in partnership with English for New Bostonians. NAIP members are placed at various community-based organizations across Massachusetts to address barriers to economic empowerment among immigrants and refugees by focusing their service on job readiness training (including ESOL instruction) and/or citizenship services (including application assistance and civics instruction).
ABOUT THE CHELSEA COLLABORATIVE: The Chelsea Collaborative is dedicated to empowering Chelsea residents to address persistent issues of inequity that negatively impact their lives and can be devastating for those most vulnerable among us - children, immigrants, and refugees. We uphold and enact the values our country was founded on, offering sanctuary, fellowship, and opportunities to thrive for all members of our community. We offer an array of programs and services to meet the basic needs of Chelsea residents, foster leadership and citizenship among newcomers, develop the next generation of leaders, respond effectively to crises, and create systemic change that increases equity and justice for years to come.
SERVICE POSITION TITLE: Citizenship & ESOL Coordinator
SERVICE DESCRIPTION: The Citizenship & ESOL Coordinator will work closely with the Chelsea Collaborative staff to expand opportunities for New Americans to learn and practice vocational English, build basic literacy skills in their native language Spanish, and pursue pathways to citizenship through completion of N-400 applications, legal aid, and mock interview practice. The Coordinator will be responsible for a variety of projects related to day-to-day program implementation as well as capacity-building to ensure our programs continue to grow and effectively serve New Americans in Chelsea.
SERVICE LOCATION: Chelsea, MA
SERVICE SCHEDULE: M-F, 9AM - 5PM with occasional Saturdays. Members commit to full-time service from March 6, 2018 through August 31, 2018.
· Assist with the coordination and implementation of immigration and citizenship programs, including citizenship case management, citizenship clinics, monthly events and workshops, citizenship classes, ESOL classes, and Spanish literacy classes;
· Create and share materials to increase awareness of and access to of immigration and citizenship programs at the Chelsea Collaborative;
· Conduct pre-screening of citizenship applicants to determine eligibility or need for referrals;
· Develop new partnerships to support citizenship and immigration programs in Chelsea;
· Recruit and train new volunteers and develop meaningful opportunities for volunteers to serve;
· Support with event planning, including town halls, citizenship clinics, and community workshops;
· Participant data collection, entry and tracking;
· Provide administrative support (program reporting, correspondence, filing citizenship applications, etc);
· Travel at least once/month for NAIP member meetings;
· Make a full-time, 6-month commitment.
· Demonstrated interest in non-profit, immigration, or community organizing work
· Strong ability to develop and implement workplans, meet deadlines, and offer support on multiple projects simultaneously
· Bilingual (English/Spanish) skills
· Demonstrated commitment to supporting the Latino community
· Efficient, results-oriented, and high energy
· Exceptional ability to work well within a team
· Excellent organizational and communication skills
· Interest in and commitment to national and community service
· Experience working with diverse populations
· High school diploma or GED equivalent
· 17 years of age or older
· Must be a US Citizen, US National or Legal Permanent Resident
· Must be willing to undergo a National Service Criminal History Check, including screenings through the National Sex Offender Public Website, a name-based search of the statewide criminal history registry both in Massachusetts and your state of residence upon application to our program, and a fingerprint-based FBI check
· A Living Allowance up to $6,550.00
· Loan forbearance and a Segal Education Award of $2,907.50 upon completion of service
· Health Coverage
· Child Care Assistance
· Professional development and training in ESOL, interpretation, citizenship, and other human services
How To Apply
Submit your online application and resume here: http://bit.ly/serveNAIP2018
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Please note that if not selected for this position, you may still be considered for placements at other host sites.