Got ACCOUNTING skills? Help others with FREE tax program!
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Commission on Economic Opportunity for the Greater Capital Region
Times of day
A few hours per week
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
CEO Community Resource Center
2328 5th Avenue
CEO wants to make it as easy as possible for eligible families to file their tax returns, and we need your help!
We are looking for tax preparers for our Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program, which provides free tax help to working families. Few can manage the added expense of a paid tax preparer to help file for each and every refund available to them. That's why CEO offers the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program to provide low and moderate-income individuals and families, immigrants, non-English speakers, seniors, and self-employed individuals access to accurate, professional tax preparation services at no cost.
No past tax preparation or accounting experience is necessary, though we do encourage those professional accountants and those pursuing related degrees to volunteer. New volunteers are required to attend relevant training and complete an online course and test that will certify you as a volunteer tax preparer through the IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program.
Tax Preparers will:
- complete and successfully certify in tax law training
- learn the use of electronic filing software
- provide free tax return preparation for eligible taxpayers
- All tax preparers for the VITA program must take a simple code of ethics test prior to volunteering.
- Additionally, a minimum of basic certification is required (this training is FREE!)
- Interested Tax Preparers can become certified in the following:
- Quality Reviewer
Tax Preparers are needed every Tuesday and Thursday evening from 3:30pm-8:00pm starting January 22nd until April 12th. We hope you will consider donating some of your time to this great cause! Even an hour will make a difference!
We can't wait to have your help!
- Training Provided
- International Volunteers