Volunteer Supply Chain Analyst - Sourcing and Purchasing
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Village Health Works
Times of day
Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
VHW NYC Office - Midtown/Herald Square
Village Health Works (VHW) is a joint American-Burundian non-profit and non-governmental organization (NGO) whose mission is to provide quality, compassionate health care in a dignified environment while treating the root causes of illness, poverty, violence, and neglect in collaboration with those we serve. The organization’s operations are based in Kigutu, in southern Burundi, with support from offices in NYC. VHW’s approach integrates clinical services with education, food security, economic development, environmental protection, music and the arts. VHW’s central program is a clinic that conducted 37,917 patient consultations in 2017 and has 4 inpatient wards. A hospital that will add surgical and emergency obstetrical capacity is currently under construction. In preparation for the hospital’s planned opening in late 2019, VHW is building a supply chain and establishing procurement practices to ensure the efficient and timely delivery of items such as medical equipment and medicines.
The Sourcing and Purchasing Analyst works under the supervision of the Project Manager – Infrastructure and Supply Chain. This position will support VHW’s procurement of goods ranging from medical equipment, medicines, and IT equipment, to copy paper, construction materials, and vehicles, among other supplies, in support of our programs. Specific daily responsibilities include: researching and sourcing vendors to diversify our suppliers for new and unique items, as well as matching need specifications against vendor offerings, sending out requests for quotations, analyzing bids for best value, making purchase recommendations, and issuing purchase orders.
This full-time position requires a minimum commitment of 12 weeks, with a weekly time commitment of approximately 40 hours/week.
Ordering and Logistics
· Request quotations, analyze quotations, and confirm orders with vendors.
· Manage data analysis for assigned project replenishment orders.
· Enter and track shipments into supply tracking system.
· Communicate with and actively provide status updates to both NYC and site staff about their incoming shipments/
Supply Chain Projects
· Prepare item data to input into electronic system and actively manage data integrity.
· Work collaboratively with Project Manager to monitor project work plans and budgets; also work collaboratively to identify activities requiring supply chain support and develop action plans to address these needs.
· Adapt and develop templates and tools for procurement planning and execution, in line with project objectives and goals as well as organizational processes.
· Work with the Supply Chain team and clinical colleagues to understand and improve existing clinical formularies and vendor relationships.
Administration and Finance
· Enter purchase orders in financial system and process invoices for payment. Follow up with sites and vendors to identify and resolve discrepancies.
· Collaboratively, prepare or contribute to requests for approvals as needed.
· Ensure financial reports related to supply chain are properly coded and communicated to project and site staff, as required.
· Maintain the integrity and transparency of all department records and files and provide reports upon request.
· Prior work experience in supply chain, sourcing, project management, international logistics and/or administration, or other relatable detail-oriented work.
· Experience implementing process improvements and enjoying them!
· Strong ability with Microsoft Excel.
· Self-motivated and able to work both independently and as part of a larger team.
· Poise, professionalism, and strong communication skills to diverse stakeholders.
· Able to prioritize effectively, managing multiple responsibilities simultaneously and meeting deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
· Ability to speak French is preferred, but not required.
Though we hope to impart unique knowledge and skills about supply chain and logistics in global health delivery and facilitate learning amongst our volunteer analysts, this is an uncompensated volunteer position.
- Training Provided