Teach Adults - Conversation Classes and After School Program in Peru
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by NG - Peru
Part time (10-30 hrs/wk)
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
As English is the most spoken language in the world, knowledge of English can afford one greater opportunities in life. Of the utmost importance to learning a new language is immersion. There are many who would like to develop their English language speaking skills yet not all have access to opportunities that provide them with an immersive environment, an environment where, for the most part, solely English is spoken. An environment that gives them the opportunity to speak with native English speakers.
For this reason, NG Peru has created its “Conversation Class Program” and “After School Program”. The “Conversation Class Program” provides adults within the community the opportunity to develop their conversational English skills in a relaxed, immersive environment and receive real-time feedback regarding their conversational skills. Similarly, the “After School Program” provides talented secondary school students the opportunity to learn conversational English, with lessons bearing that objective in mind and the cultivation of conversations via Skype with English-speaking students in other countries who are trying to learn Spanish.
We are currently recruiting volunteers to teach in these programs.
- Participants practice English with advanced English speakers, becoming acquainted with a plethora of accents
- Improve participants’ conversational skills to increase their access to opportunities: escape poverty, improve within their jobs (many participants work in tourism), give them the opportunity to apply for programs abroad
- International experience working with worldwide volunteers
- Teaching experience
- Strong curriculum provided
- Weekly meeting with all of the staff
- Development of language skills
- Development of cultural awareness
- Home stay experience with a Peruvian family
- Fun weekend activities
Description of Work
- Lead classes in the late afternoon/evening
- Come to conversation classes prepared with discussion topics
- Meet up with all volunteers and directors every Friday to plan the After School lessons for the following week
Volunteering in the “Conversation Class” and “After School” Programs
On Monday you teach an “After School” program class. Thanks to Friday meeting the week before, you know exactly what you are going to teach that day. The secondary school students come to the Casa, eager to learn, at 4pm and you teach them for an hour and a half, working on developing their conversational skills.
The next day, you lead a conversation class. You lead the conversation class for an hour and a half in the evening, generally from 7pm to 8:30pm at the Casa with adults who are eager to develop their conversation skills, discussing the topic and questions you have provided, writing out new vocabulary and concepts on the board, providing feedback, and getting to know people from the community.
(This is an example scenario. Actual schedules may vary.)
Click here for a video about the “After School Program”
Click here for a video about the “Conversation Class Program”.
Our volunteers are fluent in English and come from all over the world. On average, they stay to volunteer for three months.
- Enthusiastic about teaching children & adults.
- Can be creative in the classroom.
- Loves traveling and adventures as much as we do.
- Can volunteer for at least one month.
- Open to experiencing new cultures.
Helpful But Not Essential:
- Basic Spanish speaking skills.
- Prior experience teaching children.
The accommodation fee is $550 USD and includes food, housing, pick-up from the local airport/bus station, and administrative costs.
- Training Provided
- Housing Available
- Language/Cultural Support Available
- International Volunteers
How To Apply
A. Complete an application form HERE
B. A Skype interview - short conversation for us to respond to your questions and to tell you more about the organization in a friendly environment.
C. Evaluation by the Directors - we review your application based on our current volunteer needs
D. Acceptance into the program - we’ll notify you by email and give you upcoming dates for orientation, etc.