A few hours per month
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
Do you want to build up your resume?
Do you want to make changes in your community?
Then join us at Legal Hand and volunteer!
Legal Hand, a community legal resource center with storefront centers in Brooklyn, Queens, and the Bronx is seeking volunteers for our Bronx sites!
Legal Hand Volunteers provide legal information, assistance, and referrals from the storefront offices. Volunteers play an important role in Legal Hand’s mission to improve access to justice in low-income communities by directing people with civil legal problems to effective resources and ensuring they know their rights in a given situation. Volunteers are trained at no cost, learning valuable advocacy and legal skills. Legal Hand volunteers come from all backgrounds and walks of life— from college students to retirees, and no experience in legal work is necessary.
Volunteers will operate out of easy-to-find, neighborhood storefront centers in Tremont and Highbridge.
Volunteers will be paid a stipend of $15 per shift to cover transportation. We are also able to give credit for students if they would like to volunteer as an intern for 6 months.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Complete trainings in a variety of legal issue areas, including immigration, family law, housing, benefits, and employment
- Assist residents with variety of legal issues by completing intake, filling out and filing paperwork
- Track client information in computer database consistently and accurately
- Conduct outreach to advertise the program
- Ability to commit to a minimum of 3 hours per week in our office for minimum of 6 months
- Interest in public interest law and community organizing
- Must be 18 and over
- Desire to help members of the community resolve their problems
- Must speak fluent English; ability to speak Spanish a plus but not required
- Must have strong computer literacy and comfort
- Knowledge of NYC benefits a plus but not required
For more information, or with any questions, please contact
- Stipend Provided
- Training Provided
How To Apply
All Volunteers MUST attend two training dates on June 20th and June 27th from 5:30 PM until 8 PM (dinner will be provided). Location of the training will be at The Center for Court Innovation 520 8th Avenue, 18th Floor New York, NY 10018.
Online application(Google Forms):