Alternative Education Initiative Internship (Kenya)
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Students for International Development
Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
1Room is a pilot-stage initiative to design an ultra low-cost, competency-based high school program that can serve the world’s most marginalized learners. 1Room aims to deliver a complete curriculum with as little as a single classroom and as few as 15 learners, for less than 15% of per capita national income per student. We achieve this through personal learning technology and staffing systems that can work offline and off-grid.
- Work with local team to produce comprehensive digital modules for upper secondary level students, with a focus on subjects of difficulty (communication, math, and science) and with strict adherence to the national curriculum and sensitivity to local learning needs
- Develop and adapt from other NGOs hands-on, activity-based learning modules
- Identify gaps in existing creative commons teaching materials (i.e. Khan Academy Lite Swahili) to prioritize topics for in-house production
- Develop individualized remedial education activities for at-risk students
- Develop a detailed modular teacher training curriculum that helps teachers use our technology platform to create individualized lessons and measure student progress
- Assist in creating a long-term organization system for digital- and paper-based academic content
- Conduct quality assurance research (i.e. focus groups, etc.) to test curriculum material
- Excellent oral and written communication
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Creative ideas for bringing curriculum to life
- Experience leading a team an asset
- Pursuing/completed a degree in education, political science, international development, or a related field considered an asset
- Work/volunteer experience in education/alternative education considered an asset
- Training Provided
- Housing Available
- Language/Cultural Support Available
- International Volunteers
How To Apply
1. Fill out our online application form (don't forget to upload your CV).
2. We will contact you to arrange an interview – good luck!
For more information, visit www.sidcanada.org/positions, or contact our recruitment manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline applications is Tuesday, April 10, 2018, at 11:59 p.m. Applications submitted after this date will be considered only if positions are available.
Interviews will take place via Skype from early to mid-April. Applicants being offered an interview will be notified by email within one week of submitting the application.