Public & Community Health Internship in the Ecuadorian Amazon
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Amazon Learning
Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Amazon Learning is a social enterprise that facilitates experiential education for people of any age interested in understanding the links between local people and the Amazonian ecosystem. We foster experiential learning through a variety of programs that offer field-specific collaborations, Spanish immersion, cross-cultural understanding, and personal transformation. Our participants forge meaningful connections to the people and forest of the Amazon, gain global perspectives, and develop strategies to use their skills gained and share their findings with their communities back home.
In addition to engaging in unique Amazonian activities such as swimming in waterfalls, turning cacao into chocolate, and trekking in the virgin rainforest, our immersion program offers the chance to become part of an Ecuadorian family and community, dive deep into language learning (Spanish and Kichwa!), and create your own community-based projects.
Our Public & Community Health interns will work in a variety of public and traditional health issues, depending on their strengths, interests, and experience. Potential placements could include:
- Assisting medical staff in the local community health center
- Collaborating with an international emergency response organization including lab work and ambulance services.
- Water resource management, potable water testing, and conducting public health surveys.
- Translating for and supporting local and international doctors in rural health brigades
- Collaborate with a local grassroots health organization
Tena, Napo, Ecuador - Amazon Basin
8 weeks room and program fees………..$960
10 weeks room and program fees...........$2400
*Program fee includes living accommodations and 3 melas per day with a vetted Host Family, in-depth pre-departure and orientation training, internship placement and coordination, 1:1 mentoring/coaching, logistical support, 24/7 health+emergency support, and project costs.
**Travel expenses and additional optional activities are not included.
- Proficiency in or high motivation to learn Spanish, proficiency in English
- Able to develop and implement a project with limited oversight
- Interest in working and living in a modest, indigenous community
- Ability to problem solve, be flexible, and work independently
- Accountable, flexible, and proactive
- Research experience a plus
We accept participants on a rolling basis throughout the year. Please submit your resume and a cover letter explaining where you learned about this opportunity, what dates you would be available to intern (approximate month and # of weeks), why you want to join the program, and what you believe you could contribute to the internship. All applications can be emailed to email@example.com
Language/Cultural Support Available
How To Apply
Please submit your resume and a cover letter explaining where you learned about this opportunity, what dates you would be available to intern (approximate month and # of weeks), why you want to join the program, and what you believe you could contribute to the internship. All applications can be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.