City of Little Rock Urban Safety and Environmental Program AmeriCorps Member
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by City of Little Rock AmeriCorps Urban Safety and Environmental Program
Part time (10-30 hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
The City of Little Rock AmeriCorps Urban Safety and Environmental Program is committed to improving neighborhoods by promoting safety, energy efficiency and housing revitalization. The purpose of the program is to facilitate revitalization projects and help communities establish neighborhood watch groups and implement measures geared toward reducing the crime rate and increasing safety and security.
AmeriCorps is a network of local, state, and national service programs that connects over 70,000 Americans each year in intensive service to meet community needs in education, the environment, public safety, health, and homeland security. AmeriCorps’ members serve with more than 2,000 non-profits, public agencies, and community organizations.
Members serving with the City of Little Rock (COLR) AmeriCorps Urban Safety and Environmental Program serve with residents and community groups to assist in forming safe and vibrant neighborhoods. Members will recruit and engage homeowners in neighborhood safety and revitalization projects, and implement safety assessments for those homeowners. Members will also perform energy efficient tasks to retrofit low income homeowners in the target areas. Members also network and build coalitions with community organizations, including LRPD, (Little Rock Police Department), and local neighborhood associations. In partnership with these groups, members will organize community events ranging from educational forums to neighborhood cleanups.
All of the following duties and responsibilities are essential position functions. All position requirements listed indicate the minimum level of knowledge, skills and/or ability deemed necessary to perform the duties proficiently.
- Conduct safety assessments on individual homes
- Community Outreach (handouts, brochures, classroom, guest speakers)
- Attend and facilitate monthly community meetings with law enforcement and community leaders to discuss ways to increase the safety in neighborhoods
- Quarterly presentations to residents of target areas on strategies to prevent theft and how to create a safe neighborhood
- Create personalized safety plans that include how to deter thieves, how to properly lock up homes, and personalized places to store valuables
- Install deadbolt locks on resident doors
- Working in partnership with LRPD to support and engage residents through recruiting and informing them about community watch groups
- Conduct Energy Efficiency audits
- Energy efficiency modifications that include installing energy efficient light bulbs, changing out air filters, and/or weather stripping, weatherization, changing shower heads, etc.
- Minor rehabilitation that include repairing damaged siding, repairing front porches, railings, and steps, etc
- Painting home exterior
- Power wash exterior of homes
- Monitor abandoned properties and boarded homes on a quarterly basis to ensure the boards remain secure and re-secure if needed
- Community wide clean ups
- Member will be required to wear the AmeriCorps logo daily.
- Participate in National Service days: 9/11 National Day of Service and Rememberance; MLK Day; AmeriCorps Week
- Participate in additional service projects, as approved by the program director
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
- Members will be required to carry 5 lbs of equipment and supplies.
- Members should be willing to serve in a community setting with a highly diverse group of people
- Willingness to learn
- Ability to interact professionally with COLR staff, community members and fellow AmeriCorps members
- Willingness to be an active team member and ability to serve in a diverse team
- Team work, general, environmental and leadership skills
Academic and Experience Qualifications:
- Must possess High School Diploma, GED or equivalent.
- Must be 18 years or older
- U.S. Citizen, U.S. national or lawful permanent resident of the United States
- Attend all AmeriCorps trainings
- Stipend Provided
- Training Provided
How To Apply
First set up an AmeriCorps profile: https://my.americorps.gov/mp/recruit/registration
Then, Apply to be a Reduced Full-Time, Half-Time or Quarter-Time City of Little Rock AmeriCorps Member:
Hint: Search for Program Type: AmeriCorps State/National; State: Arkansas
Lastly, Apply to the job position opening on the City of Little Rock's employment opportunities page at:
In order to be considered for an interview both of the applications must be completed and submitted.