Ministry of Education: Volunteer as an English Teacher with the English Opens Doors Program in Chile!
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by English Opens Doors Program
Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
The English Opens Doors Program (EODP), is an initiative of the Chilean Ministry of Education and is supported by the United Nations Development Programme. This fee-free volunteer program seeks to provide Chilean public school students with quality English immersion classes, provided by international English speaking volunteers. EODP volunteers make a lasting impact on the lives of their students as they motivate them to improve their English and participate in cross cultural exchange during the course of one or two semesters.
The English Opens Doors Program is seeking committed volunteer teachers who wish to make a significant impact on the English language level of their students.
We are currently accepting applications for 2019! Our services are listed below:
- VS1 (March 18-July 21, 2019) - Application Deadline: December 10, 2018
- VS2 (April 1-Nov. 24, 2019) - Application Deadline: December 24, 2018
- VS3 (July 22-Nov. 24, 2019) - Application Deadline: April 8, 2019
- VS4 (August 5-Dec. 8, 2019) - Application Deadline: April 22, 2019
What do volunteers do?
Volunteers teach alongside a Chilean head teacher in a public school. Volunteers are placed all throughout Chile, and work with students ranging from 5th grade (10-11 years old) to 12th grade (17-18 years old). The volunteer’s main responsibilities are:
- Motivate students to learn English.
- Help students improve their speaking and listening skills.
- Share their own culture with students, thus broadening their worldview.
- Spend 24 pedagogical hours a week teaching in the classroom, and devote 11 hours each week to planning and leading an extracurricular activity. Each volunteer has the flexibility to determine what specific extracurricular activity they’d like to lead with their students.
- Volunteers will work independently under the supervision of Chilean head teachers, teaching 45 minute classes with groups of 20-25 students.
- Participate in English Camps, Public Speaking and Spelling Bee activities, and other initiatives of the English Opens Doors Program.
Each EODP volunteer is expected to:
- Act as an ambassador for his or her home country and for the Chilean Ministry of Education. As such, he or she is responsible for his or her personal conduct and behavior as well as his or her level of professionalism at all times.
- Support and facilitate your students’ learning by:
- Creating an atmosphere and class style that allows students to feel more comfortable and expressive in an all-English environment
- Making the subject of English entertaining by planning and carrying out didactic classes and activities focused on stimulating students’ “speaking and listening” abilities
- Providing your students with the opportunity to learn about your culture thereby promoting the English language as a gateway to other cultures
- Be proactive and independent, and take initiative in regards to his or her personal health, safety and well-being.
- Regard his or her students, colleagues, host family and fellow volunteers with an attitude of mutual learning, cooperation and respect.
- Read, understand, and abide by the 2019 Terms of Participation.
- Maintain a superior level of communication with the National Volunteer Center and Regional Representatives. More details on the communication protocols will be given during volunteer orientation.
- Be a native or near-native English speaker.
- Have completed a bachelor’s degree from an accredited university and be between 21 and 35 years old. Applicants under 21 will not be accepted. Applicants over 35 are still encouraged to apply, and will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
- Be mentally and physically capable of teaching children.
- Be willing to dedicate their energy and time to teaching, and making students their priority.
- Have an interest in Chilean culture and a desire to live in Chile.
- Be highly committed, responsible, and flexible.
- Have access to sufficient funds to cover personal expenditures throughout the duration of the program.
- Assume the associated costs (transportation to consulate, cost of obtaining documents) of obtaining a Temporary Residence Visa before arriving in Chile. Direct visa fees from the consulate will be waived.
- Assume the cost of international transportation to Santiago according to the program start date.
- TEFL training during week-long orientation.
- Online Spanish course.
- A volunteer allowance of CLP 70,000 per 30 days of service to reimburse local transportation or other costs related to teaching.
- Accommodations and meals with a host family.
- In-country health insurance.
- Pre-departure information and support.
- Airport transfers to designated accommodations upon arrival for volunteers who arrive on official program start dates.
- Assistance obtaining a Chilean I.D. card and a basic bank account.
- Round-trip transportation from Santiago to the regional placement site.
Important: EODP does not charge volunteers a fee for participation. In addition, temporary residence visa fees are waived for EODP volunteers.
- Stipend Provided
- Training Provided
- Housing Available
- Language/Cultural Support Available
- International Volunteers