Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
Battambang Town, Battambang Province, Cambodia with occasional travel within Cambodia
Overview of the Position
SeeBeyondBorders is seeking a Literacy Program Co-ordinator who will work directly with the SeeBeyondBorders’ Education Team to implement the Grade 1 and 2 Khmer Literacy Program in 7 rural schools in one district of Battambang Province.
The Literacy Program is in early stage of development and this is the first year it is being trialled in multiple schools. It will link with the Cambodian Government’s revised literacy teaching approach which is also being launched in two provinces in the current school year.
The Co-ordinator will work closely with the SeeBeyondBorders Education staff to:
- Train and coach them in the teaching and learning approaches that are included in the program, observing them as they support Khmer classroom teachers, and giving feedback to further develop staff and teachers’ technical skills.
- Assist with the design of new lesson plans, activities, and resources to be used in the classrooms giving due consideration to the local environment, culture and curriculum content, including evaluating the effectiveness of existing resources.
- Review the necessary planning and management of the logistical details of the program as necessary to ensure its successful implementation.
- Ensure appropriate testing is conducted correctly and effectively so that the impact of the program can be fully assessed through the progress of students. This may include recommending adjustments to lesson planning, developing capabilities in data interpretation, and even assisting with the training of university students to help with assessment tasks.
The main focus will be on the capacity building of SeeBeyondBorders staff so that they can effectively enhance the quality of Cambodian teacher’s technical skills which should in turn be demonstrated through higher student outcomes scores. Frequent reporting to the Leadership team and liaising with other stakeholders involved in the Literacy Program, will be essential.
Success of this role will be judged on the development of SeeBeyondBorders Cambodian staff in terms of their ability to run and further develop an effective Literacy Program.
Full-time contract for a minimum period of 1year
Battambang Town, Battambang Province, Cambodia with occasional travel within Cambodia
Education Program Director
40 hours per week with scheduled Cambodian public holidays (approximately 23 days per year) together with 18 days of annual leave per annum, accessible on a pro-rata pre-approved basis. Occasional weekend work may be required with time off in lieu.
A competitive salary and allowances will be negotiated, commensurate with candidate’s experience and qualifications.
Qualifications and experience – Required
- Relevant degree level qualifications in education with at least 3 years teaching experience (specifically in Early Grade Primary School) with a deep knowledge of reading, writing, phonics and literacy development
- Proficient user of Microsoft Office and/or related programs
- Complete fluency with written and spoken English
- High level of communication and presentation skills
- Having attention to detail when creating and distributing documents both internal and external to the organisation
Qualifications and experience – Desirable
- Understanding of developing countries and the challenges they provide for those with Western education development staff
- Experience of Cambodian culture, and laws
- Experience of having worked with a translator, English to foreign language (Khmer) or vice versa, both orally and written, in a range of environments
- Demonstrated experience motivating and encouraging small and/or larger groups of people
- Experience with working in an environment that requires the candidate to develop others by provide ongoing feedback, coaching and opportunities to learn using formal and informal methods
- Experience with Google Drive and related applications
- Results-oriented individual keen to develop the skills of others so as to help achieve those results
- Team player, willing to work hard and set an example to colleagues at all levels of the organisation
- Respected and respectful with a high level of honesty and integrity and a passion for empowering the most vulnerable
- Innovative and creative attitude to change and improvements, with a willingness to share ideas and identify opportunities for improvement
- Able to communicate and collaborate with colleagues and partners at all levels and from a variety of ethnic, social and religious backgrounds
- Patient with a high tolerance for setbacks, understanding that working in a developing country can be challenging at times
- Able to identify and analyse problems and evaluate alternate solutions, making recommendations in the best interest of the organisation
- Shows commitment to seeing projects through to completion
- Ability to critically reflect upon programs/activities and uses lessons learned to make positive changes
- Demonstrates a desire and drive to acquire necessary knowledge, skills, and competencies to best serve the needs of the organisation
- Reports openly and honestly to stakeholders within the organisation
Responsibility for Values
Active commitment to the SEEBEYONDBORDERS Development Philosophy and values;
Changemaker | Competency | Integrity | Courage | Respect
Tasks and Responsibilities
Office and administration (50% of workload):
· Liaise with all Education stakeholders in the community in a professional, appropriate and timely manner
· Create (with the Team) effective and appropriate lesson plans in accordance with Cambodian Early Grade National Curriculum
· Work with Education Team to revise, edit and create teaching and learning resources
· Organise resources (planners and materials) on a weekly/monthly basis for distribution to teachers in classrooms together with the Education Team
· Professionally represent the organisation to a variety of external bodies including the Ministry of Education and other NGO’s
· Help with the preparation and delivery of training sessions (INSET) to teachers outside of the classroom (including organisation of training sessions and materials)
· Manage personal timesheets and personal business expenses
Fieldwork (50% of workload):
· Liaise positively and effectively with school principal, DOE, community and other stakeholders regarding progress of the program and logistical issues
· Assist with the distribution of resources (planners and materials) on a weekly/monthly basis for teachers in classrooms
· Visit teachers/classrooms on a weekly basis to offer support, to help organise and to assist with the implementation of the SeeBeyondBorders literacy program including Team Teaching and coaching teachers in-class in specific teaching and learning literacy strategies
· Assist with the evaluation of teacher performance and offer feedback to teachers regarding areas of strength and weakness
· Report on and provide feedback on teacher/student performance to SEEBEYONDBORDERS Education Team
SeeBeyondBorders’ primary focus is to improve education standards in Cambodia, providing children with access to quality teaching and learning at school. SeeBeyondBorders is a registered charity in Australia and the UK and operates as a registered international non-government organisation in Cambodia. Operating in two provinces in Cambodia, SeeBeyondBorders conducts programs to teach teachers, engage parents and communities to support and encourage their children to get to school. In the work we do in schools and in the way we run the organisation, our aim is to build capability within Cambodia so that ultimately SeeBeyondBorders becomes the professional development provider of choice.
SeeBeyondBorders provides improved access to quality education with four focus areas:
1: Quality Teaching - improves the quality of teaching by providing in-service professional development to existing teachers, and empowering a community of mentor teachers to provide support so that teachers embed the new skills in daily classroom activities.
2: Community Engagement - improves participation at school, helping families be better prepared to embrace education through health programmes, scholarships, and sports activities.
3: Systemic Capability - influences Government to promote effective reform policies and see them implemented through to at a grass roots level.
4: Strengthening Support – continues the development of a solid, efficient organisation to help rebuild the education system.
Our primary focus is in the rural areas of Battambang and Siem Reap provinces. In each area, our Quality Teaching programs form the lead initiative and are supported by our Community Engagement and Systemic Support programs according to individual school development plans, community needs, and systemic requirements.
Currently we work in 89 schools, with approximately 459 teachers in our programs, who teach and educate more than 13,500 children.
- Stipend Provided
- International Volunteers