Information and Referral Volunteer
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Compass Center for Women and Families
A few hours per week
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
210 Henderson Street
PO Box 1057
The Information & Referral Volunteer’s primary responsibility is to act as a first contact to individuals who call or walk in to Compass Center. This means providing a welcoming and helpful atmosphere at Compass Center; assisting clients with understanding and accessing the Center’s programs and services; assessing clients’ needs and determining whether those needs can be met by Compass Center; and, if their needs cannot be met here, providing clients with information and referrals for appropriate services in the community.
Information & Referral Volunteers are also asked to assist staff members with various administrative tasks on an as needed basis, as well as tabling at community events and fairs. Volunteers will perform the work covered in the training and commit to a weekly shift of a specified time for a period of at least nine months or two semesters. I&R volunteers report directly to the Director of Client Services and Volunteer Management.
- To attend the 18-hour mandatory training and to participate in the 6 hour observation with a current I&R volunteer within three weeks of the training date.
- To perform the work covered in the training and to commit to a weekly shift of 3 hours for a period of at least nine months.
- To commit to comprehensively learning and understanding:
- Compass Center’s services and staff
- Resources in the community
- Front desk procedures/ protocols
- Compass Center’s client database
- Compass Center’s resource database
- To commit to reading the bulletin board to be informed about upcoming Compass Center events and community programs.
- To be on time for assigned shifts and not to leave early without prior arrangement.
- Ensure there is coverage at the end of your shift. If the next I&R Volunteer does not show up when they are supposed to, please let your back-up know.
- To be a welcoming, confident, non-judgmental presence for clients.
- To read the weekly update every week before or during your assigned shift.
- To fill out a Time-off Request Google Form at least 2 weeks in advance if you cannot be present for your assigned shift.
- To contact the Director of Client Services and Volunteer Management in emergency situations with less than 2 weeks’ notice when you cannot be present for your assigned shift.
- Respond to scheduling/ logistical emails within 3 business days.
- Desire to help members of the community.
- Responsibility, good judgment, team spirit.
- Desire to learn about the Center and its mission, services and systems.
- Desire to learn about local agencies and organizations in the community.
- Comfort and experience in talking to and assisting people in difficult situations.
- Comfort in approaching and greeting all people who enter Compass Center, regardless of race, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation or gender identity.
- Ability to maintain compassionate and supportive demeanor
- Ability to multi-task and implement detailed procedures/ protocols.
- Willingness to clearly and consistently document client interactions.
- Willingness to uphold CCWF’s confidentiality policies.
REQUIRED training dates begin September 2018.
- Training Provided
- International Volunteers