Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
Is electrical work your passion? Do you like to troubleshoot, repair, and maintain electrical elements and equipment? Do you have two or more years of electrical experience?
Use your skills to help make Bible translation and language development possible in the most remote and difficult places on earth. What you do at JAARS will impact eternity as we work together to accomplish the task.
Come join the facilities maintenance team and help us maintain the housing and office buildings for staff and visitors.
Responsible for repairing, maintaining, and installing electrical systems and equipment, such as motors, transformers, wiring, switches, and alarm systems.
- For a full-time volunteer or a staff person who raises support
- Able to work in the US
- · Locate and investigate electrical malfunctions, using test instruments such as ammeter, voltmeter, and test lamp
- · Repair malfunctions by methods such as replacing burnt-out elements and fuses, bypassing or replacing defective wiring, and cleaning or rewiring motors, using hand tools
- · Install fixtures, motors or other electrical equipment in the process of building alterations or construction, using shielding, grounding and color codes in accordance with building codes and safety regulations
- · Inspect existing circuits and wiring for compliance with safety requirements, and repair or rewire system to meet standards and specifications
- · Repair electromechanical, electro-pneumatic, or other components on electrical equipment, using standard tools and gauges
- · Repair both small and large electrical home appliances
- · May work as member of a construction team assigned to a special project on a short-term or long-term basis
- · Demonstrate a deep and growing walk with the Lord Jesus that includes your personal growth and the ability to support others in their spiritual growth
- · Embrace the vision, mission, and core values of JAARS, and help us live them effectively
Education & Experience:
- · Recognized Electrical Apprenticeship or equivalent training and experience
- · Experienced worker with two or more years of experience
JAARS is a 501(c)(3) non-profit Christian ministry located on a beautiful 500+ acre campus south of Charlotte, NC. We have nearly 100 guest housing units, recreational areas, a swimming pool, auto shop, mailroom, library, cafeteria, RV Park, childcare facilities, and youth ministries.
We have a variety of campus operations, housed in 20 buildings, with more than 500 JAARS and partner organization staff serving. We partner closely with SIL International, the organizations of the Wycliffe Global Alliance and with other organizations locally and globally.
JAARS vision is that people’s lives and communities are transformed as they experience God’s Word in their own language.
JAARS mission is to make Bible translation and language development possible, especially in the most remote and difficult places on earth. We do that by enabling locally appropriate and sustainable solutions in transportation, technology, media, and training.
JAARS Core Values
Together in Christ, we commit to:
1. Seek God Above All
2. Serve in Love
3. Act with Integrity
4. Steward God’s Resources with Courage
5. Pursue Excellence
6. Collaborate with Respect
7. Create a Culture of Innovation
- Training Provided
- Housing Available
How To Apply
There are many key opportunities at JAARS for you to help make Bible translation possible around the world. Volunteers are a crucial part of every department; over 50% of the staff are volunteers. We could not provide significant technical and logistical support services without people like YOU!
You will gain a new vision for missions and realize the lasting value of how your practical and technical skills are helping to transform lives around the world. Build meaningful and potentially lasting relationships with fellow volunteers and career staff. In the winter months, volunteers gather regularly for events such as breakfasts and game nights.
Volunteers can serve from two weeks to many years. The types of positions available to you will depend on your abilities and especially, the length of your stay. For IT positions, a month of service is required. Longer-term volunteers are important in positions that require task continuity, training, or certifications.
- · Proof of health insurance
- · Be self-supported, or receive funds through another organization
- · Ages 14-17 may serve if accompanied by a responsible adult
- · Agreement with our Statement of Faith
A variety of short-term to one-year, on-campus, fully-furnished housing units are available for volunteers who serve a minimum of 40 hours per week per couple, or 20 hours per week per single. Units include phones, WiFi, kitchens, bedding, and towels. An RV park with hookups is also available. Call housing for pricing and to make reservations. 704.843.6020