Part time (10-30 hrs/wk)
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
Sustainable Bolivia is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization in the Bolivian Amazon that partners with local initiatives to provides resources that support ecotourism, regenerative agriculture, health and education. Volunteers and interns are placed with partner NGOs throughout the country, namely in and around Riberalta, Bolivia.
Hogar Cristo te Salva, one of Bolivia´s partner organizations is an orphanage is seeking volunteers to work alongside in caring for its 21 children ages ranging from 2-17, providing emotional support and implementing activities such as to music, physical education, arts, dance, gardening or mindfulness activities.
ABOUT HOGAR CRISTO TE SALVA:
Founded in 2009, Hogar Cristo te Salva aims to support marginalized and vulnerable children of all ages through both physical and emotional provisions. In addition to a permanent shelter and basic necessities Hogar Cristo te Salva provides emotional care, training in self-reliance, educational support and daily activities. Beyond their educational and personal pursuits, children help keep chickens, bake their own bread, manage a community garden and sell baked goods and desserts in their local neighborhood.
The campus is equipped with two houses, residential quarters for the children, a fully functional kitchen and communal eating area, study hall, soccer field, playground, community garden and small fruit orchard. The orphanage has hosted its own soccer league and English classes open to the other children in the community.
Located in Riberalta, the group home is operated by two families who act as the full-time caretakers for the children. To infuse each child with a sense of family, most daily activities are done as a group including communal meals, sports practice, daily homework help, and bible study. Weekends include occasional outings, service projects and community celebrations.
RESPONSIBILITES MAY INCLUDE:
- Preparing and implementing educational activities including sports, music, art, gardening and mindfulness
- Helping plan and supervise children on off-campus outings
- Assisting children with homework, art projects and presentations
- Carrying out daily structure, ensuring children´s completion of chores and responsibilities
- Helping maintain community garden
- Providing direct care to infants and toddlers
- Providing one-on-one support to special needs students
- Helping with meal preparation and menu planning ensuring quality nutrition
- Minimum commitment of 1 month
- Basic Spanish
- Experience working with youth, especially in a Spanish speaking environment
- Patience and flexibility, ablity to work with little supervision
- Due to the large proportion of boys males are especially encouraged to apply
Volunteers are expected to help out on Monday afternoons, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday all day long (volunteers can have lunch at the orphanage) and they can work either morning and/or afternoon on Fridays.
- Training Provided
- Housing Available
- Language/Cultural Support Available
- International Volunteers
How To Apply
Send your CV incl. relevant experience, level of Spanish and tell us your availabilities