VCS! AmeriCorps- Youth Health Fitness Advocate
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Hayward Unified School District- Viva Bien, Coma Bien, Siéntase Bien AmeriCorps Program
Part time (10-30 hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
To engage young people & families in life-saving & skill building health promotion activities while engaging in a year of service with a nationl service organization, AmeriCorps.
Under Administrative direction, assists in planning, organizing and implementing rigorous daily operations of youth health and fitness activities through the Hayward Unified School District's Youth Enrichment Program (YEP), funded by the AmeriCorps Grant.
TERM OF SERVICE COMMITMENT:
September 2018 through June 2019
- A minimum of 900 hours of service to be completed throughout the school year
- 25 Hours per week; M-F 1-6pm
- 5 hours of national community service for National Service Days such as Martin Luther King, Jr. or Cesar Chavez Day.
- Some mornings, evenings and weekends
- Monthly stipend of $650
- Education Award of $2,960.00 upon completion of at least 900 hours of service
- Additional benefits specific to the Hayward Unified School District
- Plan and facilitate 40-60 minute physical fitness and health nutrition activities for elementary students on a daily basis.
- Plan and implement SPARK and Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program curricula and activities.
- Attend all scheduled training days.
- Facilitate monthly Family Nights focused on nutrition education.
- Participate and assist in community events, service projects, and outreach activities and events to families.
- Maintain cooperative relationships with district personnel, community based organizations, students and families.
- Collect data and prepare reports for the Field Coordinator of Student and Parent Support Programs.
- Collaborate with community-based organizations and the Hayward community to carry out program goals, objectives, and written and oral instructions from the Field Coordinator of Student and Parent Support Programs and district administrators.
- Assist the Field Coordinator of Student and Parent Support Programs in ensuring that program activities for students and parents reach the diverse population of HUSD and ensure equal and equitable access.
- Submit accurate timesheets on time to ensure proper tracking of the completion of 900 service hours to be eligible for the Segal Education Award.
- Mobilize volunteers to support school and community health.
- Implement Positive Youth Development principles and best practices
QUALIFICATIONS TO PARTICIPATE:
- Is a U.S. citizen, a U.S. national, or a lawful permanent resident of the United States.
- Is at least 17 years of age at the commencement of service.
- Has a high school diploma or an equivalent certificate.
- Maintain safe practices in classroom and outdoor activities.
- Manage and redirect student behaviors
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with district personnel and the public.
- Effectively facilitate physical and nutrition education activities with elementary students.
- Effectively facilitate parent and community meetings, activities and events.
- Take direction, take initiative, and see tasks and projects through completion.
- Maintain data and compile reports.
- Maintain routine records related to assigned activities.
- Travel to school and training site within the district.
- Have flexible hours, including some mornings, evening and weekends.
- Comply with policies and procedures.
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Operate a variety of office equipment including a computer and various software and applications.
Administered by California Volunteers and sponsored by the Corporation for National Community Service
- Stipend Provided
- Training Provided