Times of day
A few hours per month
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
The position provides direct service support to clients during open Center hours, with some follow-up responsibilities, as applicable.
- Assist with some intake and needs assessments
- Meet directly with clients and assist with immediate needs or requests
- Provide referrals to clients for other local service providers and organizations; provide detailed instructions how to access the services; when appropriate, facilitate the connection by email or phone or accompany clients
- Assist clients with immediate communication needs, applications for public assistance, accessing local transportation
Potential assistive services the position may provide include:
- Assisting with completion of paperwork, applications, forms or other requirements for employment, immigration, housing or public assistance.
- Assisting with reading mail and explanation of necessary next steps or action;
- Conducting individual research or reaching out to other organizations/people to assist with requests/inquiries or follow-up services.
- Identifying and addressing client immediate needs, as well as longer term needs that would assist them achieving greater self-sufficiency.
- If able to interpret/translate in other languages, provide that assistance.
- If unable to interpret/translate, be willing to work with clients with limited English ability and/or work together with interpreters/translators.
Time Commitment: 2-3 hours per night (1 night per month), possibly 1-2 hours per month of follow up
Qualifications: Pleasant manner, patience, problem-solving ability, dependability and ability to work with persons from diverse backgrounds. Ability to communicate effectively with various nonprofit and government agencies. Ability to keep confidential client information and documents. A degree of comfort with ambiguity. Passion for helping people.
Education: No minimum education requirement
Language: English, knowledge of other languages an asset
Note: All volunteers are subject to a background check.
- Training Provided
How To Apply
Please submit a resume and brief cover letter to email@example.com.