VITA Tax Preparation Volunteer-No tax prep experience necessary!
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by International Rescue Committee - San Diego
A few hours per week
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
International Rescue Committee (City Heights)
5348 University Ave
The IRC operates a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program to provide FREE tax prep services to low and moderate income families who cannot afford to pay $200+ for a tax return. We completed more than 3,200 returns last tax season and helped families receive more than $5.5 million in refunds. The IRC’s VITA program would not be able to operate without the hard work and dedication from our amazing volunteers!
As a tax preparation volunteer you will provide invaluable assistance to low-income individuals and families by preparing their taxes for free and connecting them with other IRC resources when appropriate. You will work one-on-one with clients helping them to navigate the ins and outs of tax preparation. If chosen as a volunteer the IRC will provide you with training that results in your certification as a volunteer income tax preparer. This training involves a self-directed online curriculum combined with two days of mandatory classroom training at the IRC office. NO PREVIOUS TAX EXPERIENCE NECESSARY! This is an excellent opportunity to gain skills in tax preparation while providing invaluable help to families and individuals in need of your expertise.
- Prepare Federal and State tax returns for refugee and low-income populations
- Greet clients and help them check-in for appointments
- Perform quality reviews to ensure returns are prepared correctly
- Answer phone calls
- Schedule client appointments
- Proficiency in spoken and written English
- Basic computer skills
- Second language skills a plus (Spanish, Arabic, Farsi, or another refugee language)
- No tax experience necessary – training to be provided
- Attend a general IRC Orientation (1 hour)
- Attend Tax training (date TBD)
- Pass IRS certification exam (Advanced level)
Times Needed: (subject to change)
- Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday
- Tuesday, Thursday
Dates Needed/Minimum Commitment:
- Commitment from January to April 18th
- Minimum 8-10 hours per week
- Training Provided
How To Apply
Under the section asking for your top 3 positions please write "VITA Tax Prep Volunteer"