High School Student Ambassador - Changemaker High School - AmeriCorps
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Arizona Serve
Part time (10-30 hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
CHANGEMAKER HIGH SCHOOL
Dream It, Do It: Changemaking for the Arts, Society, and the Environment
300 Hour Position (part-time)
Approximately 8-10 Hours/week
High School Student Ambassador
Service Location: Tucson, AZ
Service Dates: September 4, 2018 – July 30, 2019
CONTACT: 520-230-2155 or email@example.com
I. ORGANIZATIONAL PURPOSE AND BACKGROUND
Changemaker High School’s mission is “to create student leaders who turn ideas into action. Their vision is “to prepare all students for college, career, civic engagement, and leadership.”
Dream It, Do It is a school-wide changemaker project that emphasizes the core competencies of empathy, problem solving, teamwork, and leadership. This project will create four incubator hubs of learning at Changemaker High School (CMHS). The four hubs include an Art Incubator/Creativity Lab, a Restorative Ecology Lab, a Changemaker Innovation Lab, and an A+ Credit Recovery Lab. Changemaker students, with the assistance of teachers, parents, and community experts, will develop these hubs as part of the school to engage CMHS students as well as middle school youth at select partnering middle schools. Students from CMHS will be trained and assigned to one of the four incubator hubs based on skill level and interest. In turn, they will train students from partnering middle schools, both at their home school and on the CMHS campus. They will implement workshops and trainings to help guide these students through the creation of youth-led projects and ventures that address multiple issues related to art and culture, environmental responsibility, and closing the achievement gap. The AmeriCorps State members will be high school student Ambassadors to provide overall help with Changemaker Hub projects.
II. PROJECT FOCUS AREAS AND ACTIVITIES
A. Support Hubs of Learning: The AmeriCorps members will play a support role in each of the hubs of learning. They will work with students, teachers, community members over the summer to engage in student, class, school, and neighborhood-based projects. They will also work collaboratively with CMHS community to host summer Innovation Camps and to maintain efforts related to the first developing Changemaker Challenge.
B. Support Select High School & Middle School through Changemaker Events:
The AmeriCorps members will help support the implementation of summer Middle School Innovation Camps & Hub Immersion Experiences. They will help CMHS community to organize Changemaker DIY & 101 Summer Events, including: Changemaker Innovation Camps.
C. Implement Changemaker Innovation Hub Summer Camp:
The AmeriCorps members will assist in the development of Summer Camp agenda/activities. They will coordinate recruitment efforts for potential Summer Camp participants and support the implementation and evaluation of the Summer Camp.
III. Requirements and Benefits
Education, Skills and Abilities:
● Age 17 or older
● Ability to work as a part of a team
● Be responsible and punctual
● Have strong organizational skills
● Experience/Desire to work with High School Aged Youth
● Experience/Desire to work in an innovative and collaborative environment
● Willingness to engage in work on the school campus and in the local community
● Skilled in tutoring, mentorship, team building, and community organizing
● Knowledgeable or willing to become knowledgeable in the areas of Social
● Entrepreneurship, Changemaking, and Social Emotional Learning
● Knowledgeable of photo/video documentation and social media management
AmeriCorps State Member Benefits (300 Hour – Ed Award Only)
● Upon completion of service, minimum-time (300 hour) AmeriCorps members receive a $1230.69 education award that can be applied to educational costs or student loans
● Members participate in 10 (2-hour) trainings that qualify them for a Certificate in Civic Leadership and 4 college credits from Prescott College
● Team support and coaching
Arizona Serve is committed to implementing inclusive practices in the workplace. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, age, ethnic background, sex, disability, size, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. Those who have marginalized identities, whether or not those identities provide protected status, are encouraged to apply.
Prescott College is a proud participant in the Employers of National Service initiative. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply.
- Stipend Provided
- Training Provided