College Students or Degree Holders Needed to Tutor/Mentor in East Baton Rouge!
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by OYOF Christian Outreach Ministries
Times of day
Part time (10-30 hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
We hope that you've clicked on this post because you are caring, love kids, and have a little extra time on your hands each week to invest back into the community! If so, we would love to meet you!
We are excited to recruit volunteers for our great after school program that organizes volunteers to tutor and mentor students in East Baton Rouge Parish public schools! Our goal is to infuse the community with much needed support, love and encouragement that will edify children, strengthen families and build unified communities.
a little about us!
Our program is 100% FREE and we specifically target communities and schools that most need support: impoverished, at-risk, and under-served with few community resources and under-performing schools. We are a faith based organization, a non-denominational & community outreach ministry located in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Our body of believers is diverse and comes from many denominations and backgrounds. Our outreach is community-based, community-focused and community-relevant.
what makes us SHINE!
KIDS RECEIVE HOLISTIC SUPPORT! Mentoring. Academic help. Christian-faith based lessons. Mental/Behavioral Health Intervention. Parental & Family Support.
SESSIONS ARE ENGAGING!
Snacks. Energizing team building challenges. Hands-on activities. Performing Arts. Sports and Wellness. Peer discussion and peer-to-peer counseling.
WE EXPLORE THE COMMUNITY!
Educational field trips. Cultural and recreational excursions. Community Service Projects.
requirements for volunteers!
- college student or college graduate
- punctual, mature and loves kids!
- great leadership, can oversee groups as large as 10 AND work one-on-one with a student
- able to pass a criminal background check
- reliable transportation
- great communication and leadership (leadership positions available!)
- positive role model for children
- volunteers can choose their school! All schools are East Baton Rouge Parish public schools
- we ask that all volunteers come for a mandatory orientation/training on a Saturday morning, lunch provided! If you cannot make this date, we will reschedule it for you! Training is mandatory before you begin volunteering.
- the program meets 4 days a week, Monday-Thursday, after school until 5:30pm, at the school
- we hope you can commit for the full 2018-2019 school year (to build relationships with the kids!) but if you cannot and would prefer to volunteer just for the Spring or Fall semester, that is also okay
- volunteers need to have transportation to and from the schools/program sites
- site coordinators will be there to oversee and direct, and volunteers will get the agenda of activities ahead of time but the volunteers get to do the fun, hands-on stuff!
- this is an unpaid, voluntary, volunteer position! We are able to sign off on community service hours, service learning requirements, and write letters of recommendation upon successful completion! If there are other ways we can support your academic or professional journey, we are open to doing that as well!
- weekend excursions and trips are optional for volunteers, come if you are available but if you are not NO WORRIES, that is not apart of the normal commitment.
- Training Provided
How To Apply
Please send an informative email to inquire!
- a little about yourself, include age, college attending/major and background
- any experience you have with kids + any experience you have volunteering with nonprofits or faith based organizations
- confirm transportation, clean background, consistent availability
- include cell number and email address
Will be in touch VERY SOON! Thanks for your interest!!