Masa is seeking dedicated volunteers to provide remote tutoring and homework help to elementary and middle school students in the South Bronx! Masa partners with Mexican and Latino children, youth and families to develop strong learners and leaders who fully contribute the broader community. Our community-led, integrated model engages the entire family, grounded in a deep commitment to strengthening literacy, leadership and power for Mexican, Central-American and Indigenous people. We foster a culturally responsive learning community in which families engage with direct service and advocacy programs to dismantle barriers to success.
This is a great opportunity to provide academic support to children of immigrants in an already historically underserved area in New York City. By tutoring students one hour a week, you can help ensure that children who are currently being left behind by the school system are in a better position academically for the fall.
Masa's After-school Program operates on weekday evenings (Wednesdays and Thursdays) from 5 PM—87M. At the program, students receive homework help, grow as readers, and learn about social justice.
Masa's 2019-2020 After-School Program (MAP) will start on June 3rd, 2020 and run through June 25th, 2020, with the possibility of extending into the summer. Volunteers are admitted on a rolling basis.
Requirements are as follows:
· Ability to volunteer consistently for at least one of the following times: Wednesday (5 PM - 6 PM and/or 6 PM – 7 PM); or Thursday (5 PM – 6 PM and/or 6 PM - 7 PM)
· Able to commit to volunteering for all or most of the 2019-2020 academic year. When working with children, consistency is the key to success!
· Willingness and ability to serve as a tutor/homework facilitator to elementary or middle school students in an individual remote setting
· Willingness and ability to discuss topics related to social justice with students, including the Black Lives Matter movement, Indigenous People’s rights and histories and LGBTQIA+ rights.
· Attend (remote) mandatory Masa trainings and events (provided advance notice and multiple options for scheduling).
· Committed to following all Masa policies and procedures, including with respect to confidentiality
· Provide feedback on student progress and/or concerns to Masa staff.
· Willing and able to communicate with students over Zoom.
Masa is seeking dedicated volunteers to provide remote tutoring and homework help to elementary and middle school students in the South Bronx! Masa partners with Mexican and Latino children, youth and families to develop strong learners…