A few hours per month
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
Under the direction of the PRS CrisisLink Textline Supervisor, the Volunteer CrisisText Connect Counselor will use active listening and provide online emotional support to confidential users who are in crisis via the text or chat platforms. The Volunteer CrisisText Connect Counselor will provide one 4-hour shift per week for one year after the successful completion of training.
1. Respond to text messages or chats by greeting users and establishing rapport through skills such as acceptance, empathy, objective listening, non-judgmental posture, non-directive conversation, and respond to the feelings of the users.
2. Explore the users emotional and psychological state using active, positive, comforting, and problem-solving language; following established protocols; identifying warning signs of suicide or severe crisis; and assessing the degree of users risk for suicide.
3. Provide safety and security with good contact skills and assure them of their confidentiality and privacy by confirming that any information shared by the user is kept confidential unless imminent risk is present.
4. Provide referrals to resources; call for emergency medical treatment and/or police intervention, if necessary.
5. Participate in educational opportunities provided by and through PRS CrisisLink to stay current on job-related knowledge; a minimum of 5 hours of refresher training post initial 60-hour training is required.
6. Complete administrative tasks as assigned by the PRS CrisisText Connect Supervisor.
7. Work one 4-hour shift per week for one year.
8. Follow procedures regarding planned absences and emergency situations.
1. Must have successfully completed mandatory PRS CrisisText Connect Online and On-the-Job Training.
2. Excellent listening and written communication skills; ability to type with standard English proficiency.
3. Computer experience and proficient typing skills.
4. Have a consistent and password-protected internet connection.
5. Have a personal, family or work computer with password protection (with Chrome, Safari or Firefox installed).
6. Have space to work in which others cannot see my screen (i.e. not a coffee shop, library or other public setting).
7. Have a keyboard and a US based phone number.
LOCATION: Remote - At a private, stagnant location (no driving or no public spaces where others could see your computer screen). Must be located in the Northern VA/DC metropolitan area.
EXPECTATIONS REGARDING QUALITY OF WORK:
1. Respond to chats/text messages in a professional manner following established protocols.
2. Maintain the confidentiality and privacy of information provided by users.
3. Respond to users in way that is accepting, empathetic, objective, non-judgmental, non-directive and responsive to the feelings of users.
EXPECTATIONS REGARDING QUANTITY OF WORK:
1. Adhere to the agreed upon shift schedule according to the organizational need and agreed upon through the training process.
2. Fulfill the required minimum of at least 5 hours of refresher training post initial training.
How To Apply
Please complete the application on our website: