Monitoring And Evaluation Advisor (Canadians Only)
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Cuso International (Headquarters)
Times of day
Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
City Maxixe, Inhambane, Mozambique
Start Date Nov 2018 - Jan 2019 (flexible)
Length of Placement 9 Months
Language Requirements English, Portuguese
Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents only
The Volunteer’s Role
This is an exciting opportunity for you to contribute to a regional nutrition program led by CARE Canada!
CARE’s Southern African Nutrition Initiative (SANI) aims to improve the nutritional status of women of reproductive age and children under 5, while working with local health authorities and communities in Malawi, Mozambique and Zambia. Specifically, SANI is expected to contribute to the improved health of approximately 230,000 individuals directly, and over 345,000 individuals indirectly.
As M&E Advisor, you bring solid qualitative and quantitative research skills to the SANI project in Mozambique. This includes a toolkit of participatory methods and approaches to support staff in community-level qualitative data collection. You can lend your strong analytical lens to your work with colleagues and guide the M&E work to ensure the monitoring system of the changes in gender relations we hope to see as part of the SANI project in Mozambique.
A key outcome will be to work with staff to improve both quantitative and qualitative data analysis capacities and how data is used to both report on project progress and for program quality improvement. This includes pulling together key learnings in an accessible format for a range of stakeholders, including beneficiaries.
Finally, you will support staff working with Nutrition Coordinating Committees (NCC) to document and disseminate case studies, good practice and tools related to nutrition and help set-up a platform for learning, documentation and sharing promising practices in close collaboration with the Ministry of Health.
As a volunteer, you will:
-Advise on the development of interventions specific tools including field-testing and validation.
-In collaboration with the M&E Officer support the training of field officers on data collection
-Support the M&E Officer to ensure data flow functions for each tool
-Support the M&E Officer to do data quality analysis
-Provide capacity building training and follow-up mentoring on data analysis related to reporting including updating key analytical tools such as dashboards
-Developing learning products using data collected
Essential Academic Qualifications:
- Degree in Project Monitoring and Evaluation, Social Sciences, or in a related fiel
-Fluency in English required. Portuguese highly desirable If a candidate does not have Portuguese, French or Spanish language skills required.
Essential Professional Background:
-Experience in conducting qualitative and quantitative research, especially with communities in low resource settings
-Data analysis expertise using different tools (SPSS, STATA, EXCEL and qualitative methods)
-Familiarity with principles and current approaches to program monitoring
-At least two years of experience supporting monitoring and evaluation, preferably for a health project/program
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Pre-departure training and in-country orientation
- Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
- Modest support for accompanying partners and dependents going on placement with you for 12 months or longer (Return flight, emergency medical insurance, vaccinations)
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Cuso International assessment day (Candidates must cover the first $200 of the most cost-effective travel expenses and all accommodation costs).
- Travel and accommodation for the five-day pre-departure training course and for in-country orientation
- Bonus: Additional return flight home or cash in lieu after 12 months of service for volunteers who extend for another 6 months
- Stipend Provided
- Housing Available
- International Volunteers