Times of day
A few hours per week
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
1317 G Street NW
Are you concerned about the state of homelessness in DC? Are you a hard-working and passionate individual looking to make a difference? We need you at Street Sense!
Street Sense is seeking motivated volunteers to assist with selling papers at wholesale to our newspaper vendors- who go out in public to sell them for a profit. We have 3 weekly openings, every Monday from 9 am - 1 pm, Wednesday 9 am - 1 pm, and Friday 9 pm - 1 pm. We are also seeking on-call sales volunteers who can come occasionally when weekly volunteers are absent. Due to the relational quality of this position we request long term volunteers for 3-6+ months.
We are a non-profit offering economic opportunities to people experiencing homelessness by publishing a 16-page biweekly newspaper that elevates voices and encourages debate on poverty and injustice. Our newspaper vendors, persons currently or formerly homeless, sell the newspaper and keep 100% of the profit.
Paper sales volunteers are the backbone of our organization and have daily interaction with individuals experiencing homelessness. By volunteering, you will learn personal stories of homeless struggles, provide a necessary service for our vendors, and play a major role in supporting Street Sense's mission to end chronic homelessness in DC.
- Distribute newspapers to vendors
- Alert paid-staff of any vendor needs or concerns
- Retrieve vendor mail, donations, and messages as requested
- Assist Editorial staff with content-related tasks as needed
- Assist Administrative staff with other office projects as needed
- Must be able to communicate clearly in English
- Basic understanding of computers, word processing and email
- Must have basic math and cash handling skills
- Should be able to navigate office environment which includes walking down hallways and using an elevator or stairs
- Should be able to lift and carry at least 20 pounds over 100 ft or use a dolly
This position works directly with our vendors, many of whom are people currently or formerly experiencing homelessness and/or poverty. Successful volunteers will need to be able to demonstrate patience and understanding when dealing with people of diverse backgrounds, educational levels, and mental health.
If interested, please email Leila@streetsensemedia.org with your availability for a 45 minute orientation during our (M-F 9-5) hours, as well as your anticipated start date, thank you!
For more info, please visit us on the web at www.streetsense.org.
- Training Provided
How To Apply
Please email Leila@streetsensemedia.org with your availability for a 45 minute orientation, as well as your anticipated start date, thank you!