A few hours per week
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
1001 North Park Drive
Reports to/Department: Animal Care Department
Position Description: The Brandywine Zoo Goat Yard Volunteers assist with visitor experience in the African Pygmy Goat exhibit. This includes but is not limited to helping children pet and interact with the animals, overseeing grooming sessions and helping keep the area clean. These volunteers may assist keepers in cleaning the exhibit or feeding the goats. Once you complete your short training session, you may volunteer as much as you like.
Rules to enforce are:
- Do not feed the goats – even leaves and nearby grasses
- Do not bring food or beverages into the goat yard, even if they are closed up
- Do not chase the goats
- Do not climb on or ‘ride’ the goats
- No strollers
- Children must be directly supervised by an adult at all times
- Petting and brushing of the goats is allowed in a gentle manner
- Climbing logs and stumps are for goats only
- ‘Goats Only’ Area is for goats only
- When entering and leaving the yard – only open one gate a time to prevent goat escape.
- Provide a positive, interactive experience between our guests and the goats
- Assist guests in having a fun, appropriate visit with the petting goats
- Greet guests, monitor the public and animals, instruct the public on how to properly interact with the animals, and get hands-on experience with goats
- Communicate any issues with zoo keeping staff
- Engage Zoo guests, providing exceptional guest service
- Wear Volunteer uniform
- Must be at least 16 years of age
- Able to lift 25 to 50 pound bags with little to no assistance.
- Must pass a background check
This Opportunity is GOOD for People Who:
- Want to get beginners hands-on experience with animals.
- Have a regular reoccurring schedule (preferred, but not required).
- Have the ability to spend long periods of time outdoors.
- Have fun interacting with children and animals!
- Training Provided
How To Apply
STEPS TO BECOMING A VOLUNTEER
STEP 1: APPLY VIA VOLGISTICS
Complete the DE State Parks online Volunteer Application. Be sure to select the positions at the Zoo that interest you when completing this application. Volunteer group leaders should complete this form, too.
STEP 2: VETTING (INTERVIEW & BACKGROUND CHECK)
The Volunteer Manager at the Brandywine Zoo will be in contact with you shortly. Volunteers 16+ are subject to passing a background check; if under 18, parents/guardians must sign.
STEP 3: REGISTER FOR VOLUNTEERMARK
VolunteerMark is our comprehensive volunteer scheduler that is preloaded with all our volunteer positions and exact shift times available (iOS and Android app available!). Go to our public profile to register: volunteermark.com/brandywine-zoo
Estimated wait time to get into the zoo as a Volunteer process is 1-2 weeks. So hang tight!