What is home? Is it four walls? Or can it be built in the heart of a loved one? What if that heart belonged to someone with four paws?
Home means different things to different people - to some it's the physical structure, and to others it is the relationships they hold closest to their hearts. At My Dog is My Home, we believe home is a combination of the two.
We envision equitable access to home for all families. To this end, My Dog is My Home’s mission is to increase access to shelter and housing for people experiencing homelessness with animals. By securing their ability to maintain their most important relationships and find adequate shelter, we ensure every family’s right to a home.
About this position
My Dog is My Home is seeking a Communications Manager to join our 100% volunteer staff. The Communications Manager will work on mass communication initiatives that target national audiences to raise awareness of our cause and work, and will maintain and grow our social networks. The person to fill this position will also lead MDIMH in the development of messaging, brand awareness and online reputation. The volunteer’s duties will include creating original content, managing online engagement, as well as analyzing key metrics and using them to influence social media strategy and outreach.
This position is great for someone who has a passion for social media; loves engaging with people; and cares about animal welfare, social issues related to people, and the human-animal bond. The ideal candidate is someone who is interested in a long-term (at least one year) commitment with My Dog is My Home and can contribute 5-10 hours per week.
You are a highly motivated, creative individual with experience and a passion for connecting with people. You care about social issues related to people and animals. You have excellent visual design and communication skills and are able to express an organization’s views positively and creatively. You love updating social networks and curating and creating content to gain new followers. You’re a passionate storyteller and you like to share messages that help promote the organizations and companies you believe in. You are analytical and like using tools to track engagement progress and how to market content or you’re very interested in learning and getting better at this! You have a drive for continuous individual learning. Maintaining an active social presence makes you feel good and connected.
Location: New York City or Remote
Reports to: Executive Director
- Strategic Messaging (40%)
- Develop accessible, vivid language to describe the mission and programs of My Dog is My Home.
- Establish a communication plan for the overall organization and for individual projects.
- Brand Development (20%)
- Develop and implement social media strategies and plans to build organizational brand/cause awareness
- Develop and expand community and/or influencer outreach efforts
- Oversee design (ie: Facebook Timeline cover, profile pic, thumbnails, ads, landing pages, Twitter profile, Blog, etc.).
- Work with Executive Director and Development Associate to ensure consistency in communications and brand
- Content Management (40%)
- Research, identify, and publish existing shareable content for all platforms
- Create, curate, and manage engaging, relevant, original, and high-quality content daily that aligns with organizational goals for multiple platforms (e.g. original text, photos, videos, and news)
- Incorporate optimization strategies, analyze data, and research best ways to increase traffic
- Translate anecdotal or qualitative data into recommendations and plans for revising social media, content marketing, social engagement outreach, and advertising campaigns
- Create a regular publishing schedule for weekly content distribution
- Implement a content editorial calendar to manage content and plan specific, timely marketing campaigns
- Monitor, listen and respond to followers and reviews in a timely and “Social” way while cultivating increased relationships and engagement with our social media page
- Design, create and manage promotions and Social ad campaigns (Facebook Ads, etc.)
- Familiarity and understanding of social media platforms for cause and business related use, their respective participants (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Pinterest etc.), and how each platform can be used in different scenarios
- Experience or interest in communications (can be professional or volunteer experience)
- Experience with social media management tools (Hootsuite, Buffer, etc.)
- Demonstrated creativity and documented immersion in social media
- Experience sourcing and managing content development and publishing
- Excellent writing and language skills
- Team player with the confidence to take the lead and guide other staff volunteers when necessary. (ie: content development, creation and editing of content, and online reputation management)
- Demonstrated winning Social Customer Service techniques such as empathy, patience, advocacy, and conflict resolution
- A great sense of humor!
- Love of continuous learning
Preferred, but not necessary
- Experience or interest in animal welfare
- Copywriting skills
- Knowledge of SEO, keyword research, and Google Analytics
- Degree or course-related work in Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, or related field
Our Hiring Process & Timeline
- We will review applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
- We will begin scheduling phone interviews immediately. Your phone interview may be followed by an in-person one-hour interview.
- If you are invited for an interview, we will ask for examples of your work relevant to this position, e.g. a campaign you created, a writing sample, or other relevant materials.
- We would like to have the selected candidate start as soon as possible.
Equal Opportunity Statement: We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and that enables each of us to realize our potential. Our work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of races, ethnicities, national origins, ages, sexual orientations, gender identities, beliefs, religions, faiths and ideologies, cultures, socio-economic backgrounds and levels of physical ability. My Dog is My Home does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of these identities in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services.
- Training Provided
How To Apply
Please send your resume to Richard Encarnacion, HR and Volunteer Manager, with a statement of interest in the body of the email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
People of color, women, individuals who have experienced homelessness, formerly incarcerated people, LGBTQ individuals, and progressive visionaries are encouraged to apply.