A few hours per month
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
8201 164th Avenue Northeast
Do you have a passion for state-level politics? The Northwest Progressive Institute (NPI) — a pioneering strategy center that works to raise everyone’s quality of life — is looking for a (Legislative) Electoral Analyst based in the Seattle, Portland, or Spokane area.
You will be part of a dynamic, passionate team committed to revolutionizing grassroots politics and advancing progressive causes through insightful research and imaginative advocacy.
We are a fast-moving, nimble, and driven team of people who believe strongly in effective activism. You will be volunteering for a nonprofit where your contributions will have a real impact.
This is an unpaid, part-time, remote position with flexible hours.
Role and responsibilities
You will provide coverage of legislative races in Washington State (and also potentially Oregon and Idaho) for NPI’s publications, particularly The Cascadia Advocate. You’ll also help with NPI’s special live coverage on election nights.
You will be responsible for:
- Keeping our readers informed of developments in legislative races in the Pacific Northwest;
- Interviewing candidates who hope to join or return to the Legislature about their priorities;
- Writing installments of NPI’s Poll Watch series, highlighting credible polls in tracked races;
- Analyzing and discussing the candidates’ positions on the issues, especially issues that don’t always get a lot of attention from the mass media, like transportation and reproductive rights;
- Debunking ads that contain false or misleading attacks on progressive policy positions;
- At election time, providing special live coverage to our readers.
Training and orientation on usage of NPI’s systems will be provided.
To assist you in carrying out your duties as NPI’s (Legislative) Electoral Analyst, we will connect you to campaigns and consultants working on those races. We’ll also set up alerts for you so you can track and report on the release of relevant public opinion surveys and campaign ads.
Requirements and qualifications
You must be able to:
- Self-manage and work autonomously
- Know your way around WordPress
- Check in regularly and report on the status of your tasks
- Express yourself effectively through email and mobile messaging
- Carry out verbal and written instructions in English
- Pay attention to detail and quickly internalize feedback
- Interact professionally and respectfully with fellow staff, board, and supporters
Familiarity with social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram is a plus.
Time Commitment and Start Date
This position requires a commitment of at least eight to ten hours per month for a minimum of seven months. You will be working remotely, managing your own schedule, and completing tasks at times that are convenient for you. You will be expected to attend monthly team meetings electronically via Zoom.us, which will be scheduled with your input.
We ask that you be ready to begin your training and orientation no later than April 30th, 2018.
This is an unpaid, volunteer position. There will be no financial compensation.
As part of the NPI staff, you will be eligible for several cool benefits, including:
- Complimentary Champion Membership: You will receive all the benefits of an NPI membership at the highest level, including our Framing Sense handbook, wall calendar, Washington Progressive Blogroll t-shirt, and coffee table photobook.
- Training: Haven’t been to Camp Wellstone yet? We will assist you in the preparation of your application and pay your registration fee if you are accepted to the next Camp Wellstone in the Seattle, Spokane, or Portland areas. Whether you are interested in running for office, finding paid work managing a campaign, or simply becoming a more effective activist, you will love Camp Wellstone — the premier training for progressive candidates and activists.
- Travel: Each summer, NPI sends members of its staff to Netroots Nation, America’s largest annual gathering of progressives. If you would like to travel with the team to Netroots Nation and you are selected to represent the organization, NPI will cover the cost of your airfare, lodging, and participation in the conference. And, following the general election in November, you’ll have the opportunity to get away for the weekend with the rest of the NPI staff in Cannon Beach, Oregon. Lodging and meals for the retreat will be provided at no cost to you.
- Low-cost wireless service: If you’d like to save money on your wireless bill every month while enjoying the best possible coverage and reliability available from a U.S. wireless carrier, you can join the NPI wireless plan on a month-to-month basis, and pay only a minimal monthly line fee each billing cycle (if you bring your own device). We can also provide you with a rugged, secure BlackBerry smartphone to use if you would like.
Note that all staff members receive an NPI email address and access to a multitude of useful tools maintained by NPI to carry out their responsibilities.
How To Apply
To apply for this position, please complete the form on our website. You will be asked to enclose your resume. NPI is an equal opportunity organization. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, citizenship, or disability.