Hospice Companion Volunteers - Providing end of life support to patients
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Providence Hospice of Seattle
A few hours per week
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
2811 South 102nd Street
Providence Hospice of Seattle (serving all of King County) is seeking caring individuals to help meet our growing need, especially in the south and eastern parts of King County. Our hospice volunteers work in conjunction with an interdisciplinary team offering emotional, spiritual and practical support to adults and children with life-limiting illnesses.
Patient Care volunteers are trained to serve as a listening and caring presence for patients and their caregivers. Depending on the needs of the patient and/or family members, volunteers may provide companionship, transportation for errands or medical appointments, or respite for the caregiver. They may also perform light household tasks, such as cleaning, laundry, and meal preparation. Volunteers provide support wherever the patient calls home (private residence, assisted living or senior living facility, etc). Volunteers do not provide assistance with personal cares (bathing, etc). They provide support in a companionship role only.
- Attend 24 hours of training
- Successfully pass a criminal background check
- Obtain a TB test (provided through Providence)
- Provide documentation of annual flu vaccination (obtained through your own provider or through Providence)
- Be 21 years old or older
- Be reliable and dependable
- Not have sustained a close personal loss within the previous year.-Have the ability to treat patients with empathy and respect; have good listening and communication skills.
- Make a one-year commitment to the program, consisting of an average of 2-4 hours of services per week.
How To Apply
To apply, please go to our website and click on Volunteer Opportunities: http://www.providence.org/hosvolunteer or contact our Volunteer Services department at HOSvolunteerservices@providence.org or 206-320-4000.