A few hours per week
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
NAMI San Fernando Valley Office
20151 Nordhoff Street
One in 5 people is affected by serious mental illness in the US in any given year. NAMI is the nation's largest grass roots organization comprised of mostly volunteers. We are Charitable Magazine's choice for one of 100 top organizations most likely to change the world. And we're doing just that! We offer free education classes, support groups, and resources to families in crisis. Our volunteers reach out to the community to let them know we're here to help. We do interviews and radio shows. We advocate for better systems of care for people with mental health conditions. We eliminate stigma!
NAMI-SFV needs polished, experienced Executive Assistants to assist our Executive Director and management team. You'll be assisting in the day-to-day operations of the organization and will be assigned at least one critical task that ensure we have smooth internal operations.
If you have management experience, that's a plus! If you're focused, highly organized, compassionate kind, patient and have done executive level administrative work, we want to talk you. Our mission is extraordinarily timely and it all starts with the volunteer. You'll directly impact how well we deliver services and help the community when you:
- Assist the Executive Director (ED) in maintaining an accurate calender so time is managed and the needs of the constituency are appropriately attended to
- Assist the ED in building solid protocols and infrastructure so we have the capacity to expand our much needed services
- Help foster important relationship building activities inside and outside of the organization
- Communicate the EDs message at all levels of the organization including the board so everyone stays well informed and on the same page
- Assist with the myriad of important, customary administrative tasks needed to run a successful organization
- Order needed brochures and office supplies that keep the public informed and keep our office running smoothly
- Maintain organized "virtual" file cabinets that make it easy for volunteers and staff to find tools that aid in their success
- Perform critical data entry that keep us up to date on organizational and volunteer stats
- Maintain an office calendar that makes it clear what we're doing and when
- Manage mass mailings of letters and postcards
- Send thank you letters to our community partners and donors who've given of their time or resources
- Update our volunteer handbook so our volunteer workforce knows what's expected
- Help create a volunteer welcome package so our new team members feel a part of the organization even if they're miles away
- Promote our community-centric culture by exemplifying it (Kindness, Authenticity, Creativity, Diversity & Transparency
We're looking for a self-starter and critical thinker. In addition to what's above, you work well with people. You engaged in thoughtful and productive conversation and interactions with your team. You're a committed professional and have the time to donate to a truly worthy cause.
If you're excited by new processes, dynamic change and a high-energy "startup" environment, you'll be happy in this role. Some work can be done remotely and some in the office. If you live outside of California, that won't necessarily exclude you from helping.
If you are looking to enhance your resume or earn community service hours, this is a good oppotunity for you too. Be sure to include a phone number when you reply! The National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) is the nation's largest volunteer-led grassroots organizations helping individuals affected by mental illness.
At NAMI San Fernando Valley, we are proud to offer free support groups, educational programs, information meetings and outreach presentations to individuals and families affected by mental illness. We tirelessly fight the stigma of mental illness through our advocacy and outreach efforts to spread awareness in our communities. We want to make the world a better place for those with mental illnesses. Reply if you are interested in this incredibly rewarding volunteer opportunity. *Be sure to include your phone number and we will be in contact within the week.*
Check us out here:
The programs and initiatives of National Alliance on Mental Illness - San Fernando Valley are staffed by talented volunteers who have the passion, drive and expertise necessary to fulfill our mission. NAMI SFV welcomes and appreciates individual differences and invites diversity in its broadest definition. We are devoted to promoting an inclusive organizational environment of transparency, authenticity, creativity, and kindness.
How This Volunteer Opportunity Helps Our Community Most reasonable people know that without administrative professionals, the world would stop. NAMI-San Fernando Valley is no different. We need administrative pros to learn the organization top to bottom to help us grow.
Your role contributes to helping us:
- educate hundreds of families on managing the impact of mental illness
- provides helpful resources to the community
- supports families through mental health crisis
- helps prevent suicide in children and youth
- heals families affected by mental illness
- makes the community aware of our FREE services
- offers a supportive community of people with lived experience
- Training Provided