Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
Today at Aziza's Place, our children have 4 to 5 hours of English classes every week with our long-term English teacher (UK). We see good progress, but want to increase our efforts and specifically put more focus on learning while playing.
Supervised and supported by our English teacher, you will have the opportunity to develop on-site activities for the children, giving them the opportunity to practice and develop their English skills in a non-classical way. This can entail crafting, recycling, music, games, having basic group conversations, … In addition, the English Volunteer will participate in off-site activities (skate class, swimming, …) where he/she will stimulate the practice of English.
The children you will be working with range from the age of 6 up to 12.
The following summarizes what the current volunteer role will entail:
- As the children go to public school every day for half a day (this is the Cambodian school system), daily classes are organised for half a day and the rest of the day can be used to prepare next day's classes and helping out in other domains of interest. Working days are Monday to Friday.
- Creating and organizing original activities for the children. Where possible, you do this in a sustainable way, so activities and ideas can be reused later.
- Helping the children write and create items for the English blog
- Stimulating the use of English at all times on-site and teaching English through the activities you organize.
- Participating in special events (for example: off-site activities on Friday, birthday party for the children, …)
As you'll be working directly with our children, we cannot accept candidates for less than 3 months. We are open to candidates willing to join us for 3 or more months.
What you can expect as a volunteer at Aziza’s Place:
You will join a small, open and warm hearted NGO, focused on helping children and their families from the poorest communities in Phnom Penh. Part of a young team, you’ll have a fun environment to work in. At the same time, you’ll learn to understand the situation some families in Cambodia have to live in and get a good submersion into the Cambodian culture and lifestyle (also, majority of staff is Cambodian).
We offer a monthly stipend of 60$, assist you in finding a place to stay and a free daily lunch with our staff and children. We cover all costs for the materials used in the classes.
- Stipend Provided
- Training Provided
- Language/Cultural Support Available
- International Volunteers