Domestic Violence Prevention - Between Friends - LVC Corps Member
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Lutheran Volunteer Corps
Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
Between Friends has a position available through Lutheran Volunteer Corps; the position is based in Chicago, IL and is currently available for Fall 2018.
Organization Mission: Between Friends envisions a community without domestic violence where equality, safety, and justice exist for all. Between Friends provides a safe, violence-free, supportive, self-help environment for individuals and families in crisis. Between Friends' counselors empower individuals to make their own decisions and choices, rather than making choices for them. Between Friends helps victims and children to recognize that their experience is shared and that the problem of domestic violence is social and political. To learn about its programs go to www.betweenfriendschicago.org.
Prevention and Education Specialist Position Description: The Prevention and Education Specialist is responsible for developing, facilitating and evaluating all facets of the teen dating violence prevention programming in schools and in the community. Evidence-based best practices inform us that mixed gender co-facilitation teams are the most effective strategy for engaging youth with dating violence prevention programming. Men of color are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
Program (approximately 70% of the position)
- Plan and facilitate teen dating violence prevention programming for youth (6th-12th grades), parents, social service providers, school staff, and other community members.
- Our prevention programming includes: multi-session, classroom-based curriculum facilitation; guiding small discussion groups; and coordinating youth leadership programming.
- Identify, design, and implement special projects related to violence prevention and youth development
- Assist the Prevention and Education team in the development of all healthy relationship programming, including curriculum
- Assist the Prevention and Education team in identifying, developing, and maintaining relationships with area youth organizations, schools, and Chicago Community in Schools (CCIS)
- Support the team’s teen-focused social media strategy by contributing content
Administrative (approximately 15% of the position)
- Maintain records and report relevant statistical information on all prevention and education activities
- Support the Senior Prevention and Education Specialist by coordinating contracts for the program
- Assist in the monthly evaluation of all prevention and education activities by completing reports and inputting program data
- Submit monthly and quarterly status reports to the Senior Prevention and Education Specialist
Other (approximately 15% of the position)
- Staff the crisis line on an as-needed basis
- Participate in the on-call rotation as needed
- Update job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities, reading relevant articles, and joining coalitions and committees related to violence prevention
- Attend and actively participate in required educational programs
- Participate in agency events as needed
- Provide services as determined by Board of Directors’ policies
- Performs and completes other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Attend and actively participate in departmental and staff meetings
- Protect the organization's value by keeping information confidential
- Previous experience in domestic violence and/or youth development and/or youth leadership preferred
- Previous experience with group facilitation preferred<img src="//:0" height="6" width="6">
- Bilingual Spanish/English preferred<img src="//:0" height="6" width="6">
- PC literate with experience in word processing, publication design, and spreadsheet experience preferred.
- Knowledge around discussing complicated topics with youth involving dating, relationships and sexuality preferred
- Stipend Provided
- Training Provided
- Housing Available