Volunteer Income Tax Preparer
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Springfield Partners for Community Action
Times of day
A few hours per week
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
721 State Street
To provide free tax return preparation for eligible taxpayers. The volunteer is committed to provide high quality service and uphold the highest ethical standards in order to establish and ensure the greatest degree of accuracy and public trust.
1. Attend in-person tax law training or complete online self-study preparation, including the use of electronic filing software, and obtain all necessary certifications.
2. Provide high-quality assistance to all customers. Directly prepare customer’s return based on information provided by the customer or having the customer answer tax related questions.
3. Prepare tax returns using electronic filing software.
4. Refer customers with complex returns to Site Coordinator for referral to IRS website or help number.
5. Maintain confidentiality of customer information.
1. Volunteers are needed M-F (daytime business hours) and Saturdays. From January through April 2019. Volunteers are asked to donate at least 4 hours per week.
2. Available to attend tax preparation training in December and/or early January and successfully pass the IRS Certification prior to the start of tax preparation season.
3. Possess intermediate computer skills.
4. Able to interact with the public in a helpful and supportive manner.
5. Possess interviewing skills, or participate in interviewing skills training as needed.
- Training Provided
- Language/Cultural Support Available
- International Volunteers