Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
841 Central Ave. N.
World Relief is now seeking applicants for a 10 ½ -month AmeriCorps service member to serve October 2018 - August 2019.
Service Site: World Relief Seattle in Kent, Washington
The Community Garden Coordinator will help coordinate and facilitate a variety of learning opportunities for refugee and immigrant gardeners by utilizing resources, educators, and hands-on classes from a variety of sources such as Tilth Alliance, WSU extension, King Conservation District, and others. The member will assess each gardener/gardening family at the beginning and at the end of the growing season to measure change in food access, food security, community engagement, and mental health outcomes using tools already developed. The Community Garden Coordinator will also coordinate volunteers and gardeners for work parties and harvest celebrations, host sustainability tours with youth and adults, track attendance, and fill out media release forms.
- A desire to serve refugees in support of the overall mission and work of World Relief
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and sensitively with people from diverse cultures and religious backgrounds
- Good organizational skills and ability to prioritize multiple duties
- Flexibility, initiative, and a desire to learn
- Experience working or volunteering with refugees and/or non-native English speakers very helpful
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English
- Knowledge of a second language a plus
- U.S. citizen, U.S. national or Permanent Resident
The AmeriCorps Individual Placement is a 10 ½ -month national service program requiring 40 hours a week, 1,700 total hours of volunteer service. Members receive a monthly stipend of $1,307 before deductions and withholding, basic health coverage, valuable training and experience, a $5,920 education award issued at completion of service, forbearance for qualified student loans, payment of interest on qualified student loans in forbearance, and childcare assistance for eligible members. This position is contingent on funding.
- Stipend Provided
- Training Provided