Photographers will play a crucial role in documenting the progress and development of women in our program, as well as putting together a visual record of the organization’s activities. Photographers will participate in a step of the loan process and will be responsible for visiting the women to take a photo of their loan purchases. This step in the loan process ensures that women invest their interest-free loans in their businesses.
This is an excellent opportunity for someone to improve their Spanish language communication skills, have an enriching cultural experience and foster deeper relationships with community members in Oaxaca.
We currently work in the following communities within the Tlacolula Valley: Santa María Guelacé, San Sebastián Abasolo, San Juan Guelavía, Teotitlán del Valle, San Marcos Tlapazola and San Miguel del Valle. You will travel in public transportation.
· Photograph women and their new loan purchases.
· Organize schedules and appointments with the women in our program.
· Review loans proposals and businesses, prior to meeting with the women in our program.
· Take the photos, edit and upload them in our database.
· Map the location of the women’s houses and businesses in the communities we work.
· Build relationships with the women, teachers, community and staff members.
· Photograph in En Vía events and other activities.
· Help in other areas of En Vía, depending on Spanish/English level, prior experience and availability (Responsible Tourism and Microfinance).
· Intermediate-advanced or fluent Spanish.
· Demonstrate commitment to social change and community development.
· Own a camera (preferably DSLR with large aperture/low f-stop lenses).
· Own computer and have access to photo editing software (ideally Lightroom, Photoshop or PS Elements).
· Experience editing photos.
· Experience photographing people.
· High flexibility.
· Excellent people skills: outgoing, friendly, warm and professional.
· Ability and passion for building relationships with individuals from different backgrounds.
· Good judgment, strong initiative and ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
Preferred Experience (but not required)
· Graphic design.
· Experience volunteering.
· Experience living abroad.
· Weekly commitment: 2-3 days per week (15-20 hours). You will be within reason, in control of your own schedule.
· Minimum 2-3 months (or longer).
· There is no cost to volunteer with our organization. However, volunteers are asked to pay for their own transportation to and from the communities, which is usually 40-80 pesos round-trip.
· This is an unpaid volunteer position. At this time, En Vía doesn’t provide assistance with housing or living costs, but we can give you recommendations of housing in or around the city.
Photographers will play a crucial role in documenting the progress and development of women in our program, as well as putting together a visual record of the organization’s activities. Photographers will participate in a step of the loan…