Hokuto Taiko Dojo - Officer/Board Member Opportunity (Volunteer)
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Hokuto Taiko Dojo
Times of day
A few hours per week
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
28 Buttrick Road
Hokuto Taiko Dojo, INC
PO Box 3928 Concord, NH 03302
Job Title: Member or Officer, Board of Directors
Job Classification: Volunteer/Professional (unpaid)
Schedule: Flexible; 2-5 hours per week/8-20 hours per month
Number of Openings: 6
Bringing the drums of Japan to New Hampshire! Hokuto Taiko Dojo, INC is a budding nonprofit 501 (c)(3) organization based in New Hampshire with a mission of promoting a greater understanding of Japanese culture and its history through the art of Japanese taiko drumming, Wadaiko. We provide education of Wadaiko to the open public, as well as, community outreach efforts, performance, and cultural immersion through one-of-a-kind experiences. To learn more about the school and its mission, please visit www.hokutotaikodojo.com.
Objective: At Hokuto Taiko Dojo, we are currently looking to add members to our Board of Directors who have extensive experience with start-up nonprofit organizations and who can provide essential support in creating a robust foundation for the organization to be built upon. Candidates who are interested in supporting our organization in this capacity should possess the desire to help establish fiduciary policies and procedures, to aid in securing necessary funding, and to be an active ambassador for the organization, and provide financial support as the organization continues to build forward momentum. If you are interested, please continue reading the description below.
**NOTE** THIS IS A VOLUNTEER, PART-TIME OPPORTUNITY
Duties & Responsibilities
· Organizational leadership and advisement
· Organization of the board of directors, officers, and committees
· Formulation and oversight of policies and procedures. This will include brainstorming, collaborative efforts, discussion, planning, document creation, and implementation of critical policies & procedures that are needed to effectively run the organization.
· Financial management, including adoption and oversight of the annual budget
- We are specifically seeking an individual who will be responsible for all aspects of financials management, including implementing GAAP, refining internal financial procedures, creating and analyzing financial statements, creating budgets, and ensuring compliance with all applicable laws related to 501c(3) financial procedures, filings, and donations.
· Oversight of program planning and evaluation
· Personnel evaluation and staff development, when applicable
· Review of organizational and programmatic reports
· Promotion of the organization
· Fundraising and outreach
*Members of the board share these responsibilities while acting in the interest of Hokuto Taiko Dojo, INC. Each member is expected to make recommendations based on his or her experience and vantage point in the community.
Length of term: Three years, which may be renewed up to a maximum of three consecutive terms, pending approval of the board.
Meetings and time commitment:
· The board of directors meets monthly on the first Saturday of the month, 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m., at 28 Buttrick Rd. Londonderry, NH 03053. Meetings typically last 2-3 hours, depending on the agenda and needs.
· Board members are asked to attend all meetings, especially while the organization is still in its infancy.
· Board members are expected to attend special events, programs, performances as much as possible.
· Board members should anticipate spending time outside of normal meeting hours to complete projects as assigned.
Expectations of board members:
· Attend and participate in meetings on a regular basis, and special events as able.
· Be alert to community concerns that can be addressed by Hokuto Taiko Dojo’s mission, objectives, and programs.
· Help communicate and promote Hokuto Taiko Dojo’s mission and programs to the community.
· Become familiar with, and help establish documentation of Hokuto Taiko Dojo’s finances, budget, and financial/resource needs.
· Help form and understand the policies and procedures for Hokuto Taiko Dojo.
· Financially support Hokuto Taiko Dojo in a manner commensurate with one’s ability.
Experience & Qualifications
We are seeking individuals who have the following preferred experience:
- 3 to 5 years of financial management experience
- 2 to 4 years of advertising & marketing management experience
- 2 to 4 years of fundraising experience (a background in sales a plus)
- 2 to 4 years of grant writing experience, including research and management
- 3 to 5 years of nonprofit experience either on a board, or in a leadership/management capacity preferred, but not required
- Master's Degree in Business Administration, Marketing, Advertising, Finance, Organizational Development preferred
Other Positions to be Filled:
The board's secretary provides members with required meeting notices, prepares agendas and provides guidance on proper meeting procedures. The secretary takes minutes at board meetings, or designates a person for the task, and reviews and distributes the approved minutes. The secretary prepares and maintains board records, such as minutes and committee reports, and ensures the accuracy and security of the records. The secretary is prepared to assume the leadership role when the president and vice president are unavailable.
The treasurer serves as the financial officer. If the organization has a finance committee, the treasurer is its chairperson. The treasurer applies his knowledge of accounting to monitor finances, while directing the preparation of financial reports and summarizing the reports for the board. The treasurer works with other board officers and the CEO to develop financial plans and prepare the organization’s budget. The treasurer reviews the annual audit and tax forms, and presents the financial material to the board.
Please submit your resume, cover letter, and 3 professional references to Jason Seymore, President at email@example.com
In the subject line, please use the following: HTD Board Applicant 2018
- International Volunteers
How To Apply
To apply, please submit your resume with 3 professional references to Jason Seymore, President, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions or need assistance, please call Jason at 407-443-6557.