Amref Health Africa Young Professionals Board
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Amref Health Africa, Inc.
A few hours per month
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
75 Broad Street
Amref Health Africa Mission
To improve the health of people in Africa by partnering with and empowering communities, and strengthening health systems.
Amref Health Africa is the largest African-based and African-led health development NGO in the world. On the ground since 1957, with 97% of the staff of African-origin and with over 90% working within their communities, Amref Health Africa is an expert in the field of International Development. Working in 35 countries across the continent, Amref Health Africa focuses on the most critical health issues, working in the space of: HIV/AIDS, TB, malaria, water and sanitation, maternal and family health, clinical and surgical outreach and the training of hundreds of thousands of health workers.
Amref Health Africa is the only NGO to receive both the prestigious Bill and Melinda Gates Award for Global Health and the Conrad N. Hilton Humanitarian Prize, among others.
We are headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya with offices across Europe and New York and Toronto.
Purpose of the Young Professionals Board (YPB)
Amref Health Africa in the USA is establishing the YPB to raise awareness about and support for our work.
What are we looking for?
We are looking for young professionals (age 21-35) who have a passion for our cause. Every YPB member will be expected to volunteer their time and expertise to us through fundraising, event planning and strategic support.
What do you gain from being on the YPB?
Amref Health Africa offers an environment where young professionals can deepen their understanding of international development, aid and health care, gain governance experience and have a greater network of peers and established professionals interested in global poverty reduction. YPB members will also get exposed to the experience of working with our African counterparts, and to be associated with some of the top players in African health system strengthening.
The Amref Health Africa YPB members have a responsibility to Amref Health Africa with an emphasis on awareness-building and fundraising. Members should agree to the follow duties to fulfill their YPB membership:
- Attend meetings and apply skills, perspective and experience to the task or issue at hand.
- Through a “give or get” philosophy, aim to contribute and leverage relationships and resources to achieve $1,000 in annual support (this can include in-kind).
- Devise, plan, execute and attend social, awareness-raising or fundraising events to support our work.
- Utilize social media to promote the Amref Health Africa brand, events and programs.
- Assist in identifying and cultivating new YPB members.
- Act as an ambassador for Amref Health Africa and strive to positively represent the organization in the best possible ways.
In return, Amref Health Africa will:
- Provide YPB members with the information they need to be effective.
- Provide YPB members with the opportunity for professional development and social networking opportunities.
- Be diligent in making the best possible use of the assets YPB members make available to us, whether those assets are time, wisdom, experience, relationships or monetary.
- Schedule meetings in advance and start and end meeting on time, unless a majority of those present elect otherwise.
- Make every effort to keep meetings brief, interesting, relevant and impactful.
- Respond to the best of our ability to member questions and concerns.
- Offer the opportunity to participate in events here and abroad that feature our experts and beneficiaries.
How To Apply
Please contact Emily Correale at firstname.lastname@example.org or (212) 768-2440 ext 117 to learn more
Information can also be found on our website: www.amrefusa.org/ypb