Youth Development Professional Volunteer
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Boys & Girls Clubs of Carson
Times of day
A few hours per week
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
Carson and South Los Angeles areas
BOYS & GIRLS CLUBS OF CARSON MISSION
The Boys & Girls Clubs of Carson offers young people a safe environment where they can have fun and be themselves, dedicated adult mentors who respect and listen to them and outcome based programs that empower youth to become lifelong learners.
VOLUNTEER POSITION SUMMARY
Our Club is a nonprofit 501(c)3 organization serving over 850 kids after school each day across 10 locations in Carson and South Los Angeles - Compton and Watts. The Club relies upon regular and consistent volunteers to serve as Youth Development Professional Volunteers (YDP’s). YDP’s plan, implement, supervise and evaluate activities with youth ages 6 through 18 years of age in the areas of Arts & Crafts, Leadership Development and Sports. As a YDP volunteer, you could teach a weekly art class, coach a dozen middle school youth basketball, mentor a teen through the college application process or tutor a 3rd grader in reading, for example. The Club welcomes volunteers with unique interests. Depending on a location’s needs and the interest of youth, often YDP volunteers are able to start their own weekly activity.
Youth thrive with the stability of regular and consistent volunteers. As such, volunteers commit to at least one afternoon per week between the hours of 2-6PM, for a minimum of three months. Most volunteers serve year over year and are an active participant in the success of our youth.
Main Street Clubhouse 21502 Main St. Carson, CA 90745
Bonita Street Elementary School 21929 Bonita St. Carson, CA 90745
Towne Avenue Elementary School 18924 Towne Ave. Carson, CA 90746
Andrew Carnegie Middle School 21820 Bonita St. Carson, CA 90745
Edwin Markham Middle School 1650 E. 104th St. Los Angeles, CA 90002
John Muir Middle School 5929 S. Vermont Ave. Los Angeles, CA 90044
Stephen White Middle School 22102 S. Figueroa St. Carson, CA 90745
Carson High School 22328 Main St. Carson, CA 90745
King/Drew Magnet High School of Medicine & Science 161 E. 120th St. Los Angeles, CA 90059
Alain Leroy Locke College Preparatory Academy 325 E. 111th St. Los Angeles, CA 90061
- Experience in working with children
- Knowledge of youth development and/or activities
- Superior level of responsibility, reliability and punctuality
- Ability to provide guidance, assistance and/or interpretation to others on how to apply procedures and standards to specific classes and/or programs
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagrammatic form. Involves semi routine standardized work with some latitude for independent judgment concerning choices and actions;
- Ability to motivate youth and manage behavior expectations
- Familiarity with email and online forms – agreement to record and track volunteer service hours on a weekly basis
- Forward thinking, excellent customer service skills, ready to take initiative on projects and duties
- Demonstrated ability to work in communities where diverse populations reside
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL REQUIREMENTS
Tasks involve the ability to exert very moderate physical effort in light work, typically involving some combination of standing for long periods of time, stooping, kneeling, crouching and crawling, and which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of up to 50 pounds.
How To Apply
For consideration, please fill out the online volunteer interest form at bgccarson.org/volunteer. Applicants will be contacted within one week of submission by Club staff with next steps.