AmeriCorps Sustainability Coordinator – City of Salisbury
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by ShoreCorps - AmeriCorps
Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
1101 Camden Avenue
Program Description: Work with the Sanitation Superintendent on a range of projects and tasks focused on sustainability to help reduce the City’s impact on the environment. Specific areas of focus include working with Salisbury communities and neighborhoods to educate about recycling with waste reduction, research sustainability projects in other municipalities and represent the Sanitation Department at the Sustainability Advisory Committee meetings.
Position Description: The Recycling Coordinator position will conduct recycling outreach by organizing volunteer opportunities to educate residents, initiate door knocking campaigns and create educational opportunities for K-12 students. The Recycling Coordinator will also help manage the City’s recycling brand, implement new best practices and recommend policy change.
- Review and revise sustainability proposals and policies
- Research and review regulatory, technical, or market issues related to sustainability
- Provide technical or administrative support for sustainability programs or issues
- Create or maintain plans or other documents related to sustainability projects
- Develop reports or presentations to communicate the effectiveness of sustainability initiatives with the community
- Create marketing or outreach media and materials to communicate sustainability issues, procedures, or objectives
- Work within the community and neighborhoods to recruit sustainability volunteers to educate around sustainability
- Attend Sustainability Advisory Committee (Green Team) meetings and assist in project implementation.
- Develop and manage sustainability social media posts.
Time Requirements: 1700 hours (approx. 40 per week); Biweekly course Thursday 9:30 – 12:00; some nights and weekends required
Length of Term: Appx. August 15th – August 14th 2019
Requirements for applicants include the following:
- Have a strong interest in serving the community
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Able to provide copy of either high school diploma, GED, or college transcript
- Have reliable transportation
- Be available to attend the tuition-free, AmeriCorps class at Salisbury University bi-weekly during the Fall and Spring semesters.
- Be available to serve for approximately 40 hours/week for half-time service for at least 48 weeks.
- Must successfully pass a comprehensive Criminal History Check, which includes FBI fingerprinting
- Must be a U.S. Citizen, U.S. National, or lawful permanent resident alien
- Benefits available to the AmeriCorps Member may include:
- Valuable experience
- A bi-weekly stipend of $572.32
- An education award of $5,920 for future educational expenses or repayment of federal student loans
- Child and Health Care if eligible
- Student loans can be placed on forbearance while serving and AmeriCorps will pay the interest that accrued on your student loans once the 1700 hour commitment is finished
- 6 tuition free credits at Salisbury University for completion of the training course
This position is offered through a partnership with ShoreCorps, the AmeriCorps program at Salisbury University. It is contingent upon federal funding and approval of the AmeriCorps office. For more information on AmeriCorps requirements, benefits and responsibilities, visit www.salisbury.edu/americorps.
- Stipend Provided
- Training Provided
How To Apply
Please visit the website for a copy of the member application!