Board of Trustees Member: Treasurer UK/Guatemalan Charity
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Education for the Children Foundation
Our Board consists of four Trustees and we are now seeking a Treasurer to add to the existing Board skills and contribute to ensuring the financial security of the organisation.
We are looking for people who are passionate about EFTC’s work, and are supportive and active team players. You will have the ability to think creatively and constructively challenge where necessary, whilst maintaining a solution-focused attitude and always recognising the importance of celebrating EFTC’s work and acting as an ambassador for the organisation.
Specific Treasurer Duties:
- Ensuring the Board fulfils its financial responsibilities
- Ensuring financial viability and development of the organisation
- Working with the Board, the CEO and the Finance Director to develop a long-term financial strategy for the organisation
- Overseeing, approving and presenting budgets, accounts and other financial statements.
- Ensuring that equipment and assets are adequately insured.
- Ensuring that the accounts and any other financial reports are prepared in the form required by the relevant statutory bodies.
- Ensuring the appointment of auditors or independent examiners where necessary
- Monitoring progress in budget management
- Facilitating networking opportunities with potential donors, corporations or other potential funding streams.
- Hold a recognised qualification in finance
- Have significant experience working in finance, with the ability to demonstrate a good level of knowledge of financial accounting and reporting procedures
- Ability to communicate financial information clearly
- Strategic financial planning skills
- Sound and independent judgement
- Experience of working at board level is desirable but not essential
- Commitment to EFTC’s mission
Board members are expected to act in line with their statutory duties as charity trustees as specified by the Charity Commission. In particular, all Trustees are responsible for:
- Setting the strategic direction of the organisation
- Ensuring legal compliance
- Approving budgets and high level expenditures
- Appointing the CEO and monitoring their performance
- Ensuring that the organisation complies with its governing document, charity law, company law and any other relevant legislation or regulations
- Ensuring financial stability of the organisation.
For more information on the duties of a charity Trustee, see:
We meet quarterly in Nottingham, with email and phone contact between Board meetings. Trustees are not remunerated but all travel expenses will be covered. There will be opportunities to visit Guatemala and see the work of the charity first-hand, although these expenses cannot normally be covered by the charity.
How To Apply
Please send a short statement about why you are applying and how you feel you meet the criteria in the person specification, along with your CV to, Michelle Aitken (Chair of the Board of Trustees): email@example.com
Michelle can also be contacted for an informal discussion about the role.