A few hours per week
The Learning Centre Literacy Association (TLCLA)
Literacy Volunteer Job Description
Volunteers make it possible for The Learning Centre Literacy Association to assist adults in the community improve their literacy skills.
Objective: Encourage and support the adult learners by helping them develop confidence and a positive attitude about learning; respecting them and involving them in decisions about the learning process; selecting materials and approaches that are suitable for the adult learners’ ability and needs; supporting them and praising them for their efforts rather than criticizing them; guiding them in adopting healthy social and learning behaviors; and meeting regularly and punctually.
Position Functions: (Duties and Responsibilities)
· Provide instruction to adult learners developing basic literacy skills, including but not limited to reading, writing, numerical and computer literacy.
· Assist the learners in setting and achieving individualized learning goals.
· Abide by a confidentiality contract and a code of conduct agreement.
· Approach learners with respect, flexibility and an open mind while inspiring a love of learning and community.
· Support learners while maintaining healthy boundaries.
Desirable Knowledge and Skills:
· Excellent command of English language, both written and oral.
· Reliable, flexible and professional.
· Analyzing information and evaluating results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
· Strong interpersonal, and relationship building skills
· Ability to set boundaries.
· Openness to continued learning and training.
· A greater understanding and appreciation of different values and lifestyles.
· An enhanced understanding of the issues faced by people who experience low literacy.
· Meet new people in the community.
- Training Provided